Cat trips out on the nature of reality, identity, and spacetime

Kinda figured someone would post both of these. Hard not to. That said, I’ve never seen a cat actually react to a mirror before.

So, does the mirror represent the flickering torchlight playing against the rear of Plato’s cave, or the harsh sunlight of the outside world?

8 Likes

Apparently this is a common, simple sort of intelligence test used by animal behaviorists to estimate intelligence. Smarter animals will groom themselves in a mirror, less-smart ones attack. I’d never heard of a reaction like this, though.

1 Like

This is more of a high Wis, than a high Int scenario.

3 Likes

Cat’s are not know to pass that test but I had one who would only realize the funny bits of ribbon etc. that I had snuck onto her head when she saw herself in the mirror.

6 Likes

A whole other level of abstraction for Kitteh.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

3 Likes

There is a self-recognition mirror test which psychologists use to help understand the mental processes of a species. Humans typically “pass” by around 18 months. Currently at least 9 other species exhibit such behavior including Eurasion Magpies and possibly even ants.

(Yes - post can be effing empty)

1 Like

https://www.baen.com/Chapters/9781625791207/9781625791207___2.htm

1 Like

Gummitch is smarter - and more ethical - than your typical cat though. Certainly more so than my cat, Colin.

1 Like

There is the mirror self-recognition test.

edit: Oh, @cntrfldr had already linked that.

1 Like

Some mornings I don’t pass this test.

7 Likes

I bought this in Japan. One of my most favorite bands.

At 1:05, I realized there were two cats.

2 Likes

1 Like

ed040761628729034713681c40066c96

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.