Catch more fish with this underwater camera attachment

Yikes. Already I mostly catch shrubs totally sober when fly fishing.

2 Likes

I’m not an expert, but from memory… isn’t the entire point of fishing to cast your hook into the unknown, watching and waiting while you relax and engage with the outdoor world?

As a culture, in America at least, we are wayyyy too focused on “winning” at everything we do. There is so little appreciation of chance and imperfection.

5 Likes

This would seem to act like a fish aggregating device, even if inadvertently. Not sure that’s quite sporting for the local fish populations.

I’ve only fished 50 years or so, but I’ve probably snagged the bottom and broke or cut my line a couple dozen times. Not sure how many of these I’d need to buy.

Of course that’s ocean/bay fishing. Might not be a factor for freshwater people.

1 Like

Depends on your local geology.

My home river, sometimes I break off 2-3 times in one outing. Those are the snags I can’t get unstuck. Many, many rocks and other detritus.

2 Likes

Maybe watching the fish struggle with a point bit of metal in it’s mouth will take some people of the cruel and sadistic ‘hobby’. It’s just plain old animal cruelty imho.

I don’t mind people doing it if they eat the fish afterwards, but hurting an animal like that just for fun seems needlessly cruel to me.

I get that people like to sit and stare into the water. I grew up next to a river and did a lot of that as well. But you don’t need fishing gear to sit and relax.

The fishing fans I spoke to all say ‘but fish don’t feel pain’. But that’s obviously bullshit. Pain is evolutionary useful, why wouldn’t a fish have it.

Ugh.

2 Likes

I get pissed when I lose a $5 lure. Imagine how it would feel losing a $240 when it gets hung up on the bottom.

3 Likes

I have my doubts that it works well for most fishing situations I’m aware of. When the dude casts a lure with this thing on the line, I thought “That’s gonna ruin any action that lure was carefully crafted to perform.”

Also, from my experience with Lake Simcoe Yellow Perch and an underwater camera, it’s not as fun as you might think. Wicked frustration when you can see the buggers examine your bait and move on. Although decent entertainment if you can let it go.

Also: it called “fishing”, not “catching” for a reason. Just being out on the water or near it is all I’m expecting.

2 Likes

Too expensive for actually fishing but nice for seeing whats in your local pond or river. This only works in the daytime though right?

Typically, these are used for driving trollies situations, where it’s useful to figure out whether you’re getting fish like salmon or walleye interested in your lures but not taking. Then, you can change things up to try to get a strike.

It’s also informative to understand just how often you not only have fish following your line and showing interest, but also striking it without getting hooked.

As for losing the camera to bottom snags; these cameras are often used in deep water trolled behind a boat where that is a very unlikely outcome.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.