Cats domesticated themselves

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/19/cats-domesticated-themselves.html

2 Likes

Cats didn’t domestic themselves, they domesticated humans.

53 Likes

Domesticated is a strong term for how cats and humans interact.

15 Likes

They can also de-domesticate themselves in an instant. Go, Simba, be free!

12 Likes

I like the idea that cats were useful from the get-go, they didn’t have to be domesticated for humans to find them useful.

9 Likes

:slight_smile:

11 Likes

“I have no idea what you mean,” I say as I open the window to let my cat inside because he’s decided that jumping up on the water barrel and coming in the window is preferable to the door.

26 Likes

Current theory is that wolves weren’t domesticated by humans directly. There was an intermediate form, a slightly-less-wary wolf that adapted to scavenging around neolithic human settlements. Living off of scraps meant they had to tolerate humans to some extent. Humans benefited by having wolf-dogs cleaning up the neighborhood and raising hell when more-wild animals approached.

The pups of these critters could be approached and adopted, and eventually trained and bred.

9 Likes
24 Likes

“Got created the cat so that Man could caress a wildbeast.” Victor Hugo

3 Likes

Hear that, Mrs Spat? You’re domesticated. Oww.

6 Likes

Humans domesticated ourselves and dogs, livestock. Cats tolerate us because we are a consistent source of nibbles.

5 Likes

And warm pizza boxes on which to rest.

1 Like

The traditional quote: “Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.”

4 Likes

they had to domesticate us, first.

1 Like

Topical synchrondipity! I was just watching this:

Pariah dogs still live like that in a lot of places.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.