CBC warns Canadians: US cops will pull you over and steal your money

(Also, o Discourse Overlords, dat winky. Seriously, who winks with their left eye?)

1 Like

I usually only roll with a few hundred on me, but once when I worked in the states I had to pickup 23 thousand from a bank to deliver to corrupt law firm.

Never a cop around when you need one eh?

I hope more countries do this loudly and often so that it starts to hurt tourism dollars. Tourism boards and chambers of commerce seem to be the only ones who are allowed to make changes around hereā€¦

2 Likes

How could law enforcement benefitting from forfeiture not end in disaster? At the very least the assets should disappear in the general budget of the state in order to minimize problematic incentives.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know the details. I had a brief gig selling merchant services, and we were told everybody needs to buy new stuff, because computer chips!

Well, they could always forget to file their report about the seizure until they see whether they are going to get a court challenge.

The article say theyā€™ve created an intelligence network to identify people driving with large amounts of cash. Thatā€™s way beyond policing and deep into organized crime.

7 Likes

I believe it is a ā€œSecurityā€ measure from the credit card companies so that if nefarious neā€™er-do-wells have your credit card, they wonā€™t be able to purchase gas because they donā€™t know you zip code.

Think of it as a very easy PIN.

OK, apparently I am out of touch with the evolution of language againā€¦ Google image-searching ā€œdragoonā€ turns up a lot of fantasy art but not one single Uhlan or Hussar on the first page. Deep weird, thanks for the tipoff!

I was try to invoke an image of heavily armed, flamboyantly equipped knuckleheads - something like this:

or maybe this:

1 Like

I think most Americans donā€™t like the chip idea, since they can be read at a small distance? Iā€™d just as soon we hurry up and get them though, it makes travel a pain not to have them.

If I searched for Dragoons and got back pictures of Uhlans then Iā€™d think google were doing a pretty poor job.

3 Likes

We were just in the US and used a made-up code for the zip to buy gas at the pump. Worked fine. Sems the zip might be more of a data farming technique than ā€œsecurityā€.

Weā€™re probably going off on a tangent, but there are two different technologies often referred to as a chip in the card. Thereā€™s Chip and PIN which requires exposed contacts on the card to connect to the reader and thereā€™s RFID chips which can be read at a distance.

Chip and PIN is intended to replace swiping and signing. You insert the card into the reader, it asks for your PIN and to confirm the purchase amount. You take the card out after it completes the transaction.

RFID (Radio Frequency IDentification) is for quickly paying for something. You usually have to tap the card against the reader. It exists more for convenience and speed.

1 Like

RFID/NFC also breaks if you leave your wallet in the washing machine, which is useful, as there are few other bonuses to doing thatā€¦

My bank started 2-step a couple months ago.

Oddly, I do. Iā€™m somewhat ambidextrous.

3 Likes

Well then, youā€™re weird and I donā€™t trust you.

2 Likes

Never claimed not to be weird. I thought thatā€™s why we all gather here, anyway. Happy Mutants, and all that.

4 Likes

Yes, well. Thereā€™s mutants, and then thereā€™s winking with your left eyeā€¦

2 Likes

The thing is, itā€™s not just large amounts of money - in fact, itā€™s mostly relatively small amounts (especially as small amounts make it less likely the victims will even try to get it back, as itā€™s just not worth it). Itā€™s not even necessarily money. The cops have been known to grab whatever of value they could find, including the jewelry off peopleā€™s necks (such as a gold crucifix, for example, in one case).

1 Like

Well, fancy-dress light cavalry and fancy-dress mounted infantry donā€™t look all that different to meā€¦ but then again anything involving firearms is out of period for a medievalist, so what do I know! :no_mouth:

There are a lot of shades of Canadian nowadays - we have tons of diversity here, lots of melanin.