CBS: Stephen Colbert Will Take Over Letterman’s ‘Late Show’

following the arguments of Suey Park, isn’t it itself an expression of white privilege to be able to joke about a very serious problem in our society, and marginalize the efforts of those who want a just, privilege free society?

1 Like

You’re correct on all counts, it’s the latter.

I’m a white guy and I’m regularly told I look like some other white guy (the Six Fingered Man just last night). I suspect that ‘all ____ look alike’ will tend to be true for anyone who isn’t around whatever blank is on a regular basis.

Of course, assuming they’re funny at all, jokes like that will only be funny the first few times they’re told. After that, the teller starts to look annoying and ignorant.

1 Like

It becomes stale eventually. The Colbert character and evolution of character have a lot to do with the show’s staying power.

I think so, but could you clarify who you’re saying has done this kind of marginalizing?

Colbert is a brilliant improviser.

I haven’t watched that since 2006. Yeah, that’s going down in history.

Also, the Helen Thomas bit made me shed a tear.

I don’t watch Colbert much. I have a laugh when I do, but its a shtick and even a good shtick gets old. I thinks its great he’s going to get to be himself, he’s a renowned intellect and thats got to be good news for Late Night TV.

2 Likes

From the video:
“Honestly, if white liberals cared about [some social justice issue], there’s a lot they can do to organize or get involved besides caring about their jokes. So for them, it’s not really about whether or not [some social justice issue exists]. It’s really about them feeling like they can’t have fun anymore and feeling entitled to laugh at things that aren’t really funny.”

I mean, here she is talking about the Washington football team, but her argument can easily be extended to cover all sorts of things that we should be doing instead of laughing. It’s a bit… puritanical.

“Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laugher be turned to mourning and your joy to heaviness.”

Yeah, but she is right about the ironically racist usage by liberals of Asian stereotypes. No one’s perfect.

“This is Steve, our Youth Minister…”

1 Like

I think it’s okay when real Indians do it?

Edit: And anyway, it’s not being done there as a joke.

As long as it’s not filthy filthy liberals doing it!

1 Like

But which Colbert will take over from Letterman ? The fake Colbert or the real Colbert ?
Probably the real one. That is not good news . I am gonna miss my favorite tv character.

I feel your pain. If it were up to me I’d beg Colbert not to do this. I honestly think America needs mainstream people like Colbert addressing the insanity of the right wing in the manner he does.

Can you imagine the mainstream void if Jon Stewart steps down as well? Bill Maher is quick on his feet for a wisecrack, but he is too stubborn and dense on many issues - so he’s no void filler (if you know what I mean).

On the bright side, I do think Colbert will be “entertaining” out of character. All the proof one needs is to watch this prescient David Letterman interview with Colbert just before the Colbert Report started:

More:

But, overall, this feels more like a loss than a gain for society at this point.

1 Like

Actually, it was pretty funny, but I wouldn’t go so far as calling it the greatest ever.

The Colbert Report is far and away a better show than Late Night, IMO. Sure, Late Night will pay Colbert much better than CC ever did but I think this is a mistake.

1 Like

I think your putting words in my mouth, or at least thoughts in my head.

Liberals make mistakes too. Those mistakes are easier to see when you stand to the left of them. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

I can see why Colbert might want to be done with the Colbert Report. I love the show to death, but basically every performance he’s given in the last nine years has been in character, as the same clueless asshole every time. And he’s still hilarious, which is a tribute to his talent, but I can believe that he might be ready to put that persona down for a while.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading through the whole thread and I have been pondering what I think about this. I agree that the format is restrictive, and I do like Colbert and remember things he did before he became the character version of himself; he definitely can do a lot with a new format.

Still, I think you need someone who is skillful enough to play off the lame guests and engage even the boring ones without insulting them, and someone who can make little everyday things funny, and come up with silly running gags.

I think Drew Carey would actually be a better choice. I know he seems happy as a clam with his Price Is Right gig, but I think he’s got the right personality for late night.

I would like to see Colbert have a different show from the one he has now, but I don’t feel like the late night format is the best for him.