CDC to announce that people with Covid can mingle freely

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/14/cdc-to-announce-that-people-with-covid-can-mingle-freely.html

3 Likes

Otherwise known as the “fuck it, it’s not like anyone was listening to us anymore anyway” protocol.

32 Likes

They can skip Control and Prevention from their name, then.

20 Likes

0 VuFX3zDy3KdkU-y6

11 Likes

Imagine what a world we would have if the CDC had enough balls to suggest we stay home and isolated when sick with any major disease, and it became required policy of most businesses and the government. But no, profits must be obtained and the sick must report to their duty stations…

31 Likes

Shouldn’t they instead be reminding us to stay isolated when we have any infectious disease?

19 Likes

it’s just not profitable for employees to take sick days!

12 Likes

That’s crazy talk! Next you’ll be saying we should wear masks if we don’t feel good! Are you a Commie! Or worse…A DEMOCRAT!!! (/s, just in case it wasn’t obvious)

20 Likes

The linked NPR does a great job of laying out the problems and data - and how the CDC would be failling its resposibility if it changes the advice. The CDC should recommend what is safe and best, not what people like or are doing.

The public’s failure at managing Covid should not be because we follow needlessly wrong CDC advice, but bc we fail to follow proper safety advice.

19 Likes

Yeah, I don’t get this. Shouldn’t they leave the current protocols in place since we know most people are going to do less than whatever is recommended?

Kind of like speed limits are usually lower than what is actually safe since most are going to exceed them.

7 Likes

Ah the old “Reverse Psychology” bit.

2 Likes

It’s hard not to conclude that the CDC is acting as a purely “pro-business” political entity when they characterize an infectious vascular disease as a respiratory ailment and they assert that an infectious workplace is perfectly safe.

“No fresh air, no HEPA, no respirators, no lawsuits - No problem!” /s

4 Likes

Costs must be externalised from the wealth concentrating people in control of businesses.

4 Likes

anakin padme meme

9 Likes

Glad to see America being consistent in its complete contempt of science-based health policy.

5 Likes

This seems like the approach taken here. I don’t even know what advice is now.

1 Like

Sadly, I have to agree with this. I have pretty much given up on testing unless it’s requested. Schools will harass parents to get the kids back in school, even threatening them with truancy, with or without a doc’s note unless they have a fever. Just by way of review, most kids do not. There seems to be a “What the hell, Maude, if he dies, he dies” kind of attitude out there now. It is exhausting, we are tired, and the battle on this one is lost. Sorry, guys. There it is.

18 Likes

Possible alternative headline: CDC Succumbs To Long Covid.

8 Likes

do-not-think-about-the-event

Only without the “remain indoors” bit.

8 Likes

As one of the dwindling number of people who has never caught the rona (that I know of), I find this new “guidance” alarming horrifying.

15 Likes