Century-old baby stroller looks alarmingly dangerous

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/24/century-old-baby-stroller-looks-alarmingly-dangerous.html

4 Likes

There’s clearly a seat?

Edit: Still precarious though.

12 Likes

holding on to the sides for dear life as they got wheeled around.

The core strength of that baby must have been outstanding.

It looks like the baby may be sitting. The video cuts off too early but it does look as if there is a seat there. Baby still needs to hold on, but it takes a lot less effort to do that if seated.

8 Likes

Ride or Die, the early years.

14 Likes

As opposed to the 2-meter-long battle cruiser carts I see in supermarkets nowadays…

8 Likes

Did you happen to notice the owner of the TikTok account that posted the video?

https://bentleytrike.com/

4 Likes

That’s not a baby, that’s a toddler.

17 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure what people are seeing here as that appears to be a pre-school kid sitting on a weird stroller/scooter contraption. If that is a baby standing up then it has truly bizarre proportions.

The rig does look dangerous and precarious though.

6 Likes

Honestly this doesn’t even seem that precarious. The toddler is sitting on a bike seat, and has solid spots for both hands and feet. The weird design means they’re right next to the payment. It’s not far to the ground. As a parent of kids who were toddlers just yesterday, or so it feels, I would have no problem with my kids riding this.

4 Likes

Somehow managed to look safer than this

17 Likes

That kid weighs way less than an air conditioner that would fit in that window and those have less support.

4 Likes

Plus you barely ever need to top up a baby’s freon.

26 Likes

The closet I could find was this one that says 1950 Germany.

13 Likes

And it doesn’t look like the 1920s. 50s or 60s maybe.

2 Likes

Yeah that too. The adult woman has big tailored shoulder pads and a fit-and-flare skirt on the overcoat. Hair worn pretty long and loose at the shoulders too. Maybe mid 40’s at earliest? I’m not that great on fashion history.

1 Like

Armoured Pram for Derry by Derry artist Eamonn O'Doherty

Armoured Pram for Derry by Derry artist Eamonn O’Doherty

9 Likes

Things were efficient back then. Any kids who survived to adulthood without major debilitating injuries had no need for all that tiresome basic training before shipping off to fight in trench warefare.

2 Likes

Where was that big frame, yes she took the seat out her bag, but then “poof” big ridged frame the size of child appears!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.