The kiddies' motor wheel would be outlawed in this day and age

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/10/29/the-kiddies-motor-wheel-would-be-outlawed-in-this-day-and-age.html

4 Likes

A9852423-337E-4F04-8C8C-14055BDA0E93

28 Likes

Waaaay more badass than kids on scooters today.

8 Likes

South Park did it first!
tumblr_m0fdiet9NV1r1g4pjo3_400

13 Likes

it doesn’t look any tippier than a bicycle. once you’re moving, i bet it’s fine – the only bad thing about it is that the wheel kind of gets in the way of seeing ahead of you. but i’d ride one. it looks fun! i wonder what the top speed was.

11 Likes

This one isn’t too stable. I think the problem is that the center of mass is too high. Either a smaller rider, or a larger wheel. It could really benefit from a repurposed hover board controller to apply maximum acceleration and braking without pitching the rider too much.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t want to run directly behind the wheel after she went through the horse shit at 0:50.

6 Likes

Looks great. Couldn’t use it today of course. The kid is on a road and they would be decapitated by an SUV doing 50kph in a residential area

17 Likes

Money Floss GIF by Vipps

5 Likes

Yeah, no.

13 Likes

Monowheels are super cool. Built right? super stable, great design.

as mentioned - I can no longer look. at them without thinking of Mr. Garrison in South Park

here-s a cute lil video about the history

3 Likes

Hell, YES!

(On a racetrack or something similar, not on a regular road or street.)

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to ride a monowheel and now I find myself strangely jealous of some kid in the 1920s who’s probably long gone.

6 Likes

21 Likes

That does sound dangerous.

6 Likes

Right?

And a lower center of gravity, better than a tall bicycle, tricycle (yes, many stupid pedicab operators have proven you can tip a tricycle, even with passengers), or a traditional unicycle.

2 Likes

KvktNZv

13 Likes

The worry coursing through the running-father is palpable!

5 Likes

“I say, look out for the manure, sport.”

2 Likes

You may be cool but you’ll never be Jumpin’ Joe Gerlach in a Flared Leather Safari suit driving a Monowheel Time Machine cool…

10 Likes