Chadwick Boseman, 1976–2020

We need to keep pushing for more affordable preventative healthcare as a major issue. One of the worst things to hear from a doctor is, “If only we’d caught it sooner…”

18 Likes

Damn you, 2020. And fuck you, cancer.

Rest in power, Mr. Boseman, you are already missed.

8 Likes

This is horrible news to wake up to. Way too young. I wonder if there was a family history that led to him getting colon cancer at such a young age. For any of you guys in your 40s and 50s who haven’t had a colon cancer screening yet, the process is not as bad as you might think. In fact, you wake up feeling pretty damn good and the procedure only lasts about 20 minutes.

10 Likes
17 Likes

What a terrible tragedy, he looked so young and vibrant. My condolences to his friends and family.

2 Likes

Beautiful :cry:

21 Likes

First thing I saw Chadwick boseman in was an episode of Justified. Played a throw away character but shined on screen nonetheless. Then I saw him in 42 and then Draft Day. And he was clearly meant for better more choice roles.

What is amazing to me about this gentleman was not how good he was as an actor. But how strong he was as a person. To fight cancer for 4 years. To never say a word. For his friends and co stars and coworkers to not say a word. That is true love, loyalty and respect on display.

9 Likes

Aw man, what horrible news. And colon cancer - that super sucks :frowning:

3 Likes

Having the chance to see Black Panther in a packed theater here in the greater Baltimore area was without question one of the best moviegoing experiences of my life, and absolutely the most important. It was simply profound, and almost overwhelmingly joyous. Thank you Mr. Boseman.

10 Likes

Ha! I was going to post the same thing. Whatever anesthesia they use is REALLY NICE. Colonoscopies are not the nightmare their reputation suggests (the worst part is the day-before prep).

7 Likes

Fuck. Such a shock to read this.

5 Likes
18 Likes

He embodied the grace and dignity of his many roles. Not a sycophantic devotion but a joyous interpretation that was just empowering to watch.

I collect Black Panther merch. I’d already auctioned off most of it for charity. In some selfish ways I wished I didn’t but the money going to food banks and rent support organizations is so much better than having them sitting pretty on my shelf.

Please. If you suspect something or even don’t, please get tested. If you have the means. Unfortunately, in US healthcare you’ll probably have to try the hospital charities to pay it off. Or go on payment plans. :fearful:

So, SO many people I know are admitting husbands and wives, friends, lovers and family are dying of this. Some were proactive and did screenings in their 20s. They’d be dead by 32. So many dying before 45.

A few simply couldn’t put that financial strain on their family and basically committed the slowest, painful suicide.

6 Likes

This news made me genuinely sad.

2 Likes

To me it seems more like 2012 arrived with 8 years delay.

2 Likes

What’s affordable to somebody who doesn’t have a job? Either we make some level of care available for free, or we keep deciding as a society that some people should be excluded from medical care (I myself have useless bronze marketplace insurance [$8,000 deductable] that serves only to divert tax money to an insurance company - I need to see a doctor and can’t). There’s not really a middle ground.

3 Likes

His last tweet, on Aug 12, was for Kamala Harris. Hopefully he’ll transmit some of that power to her.

8 Likes

Agreed. The ranges they use now for premiums based on income level are terrible, and need to be reset to reflect reality/actual cost of living.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.