Rush Limbaugh, noted epidemiologist: "The coronavirus is the common cold, folks."

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/25/rush-limbaugh-noted-epidemiol.html

1 Like

He also downplayed the risk of tobacco smoke so he’s not exactly batting a thousand on medical advice.

73 Likes

20 Likes

Don’t you mean “Presidential Medal of Freedom winner Rush Limbaugh” /sarcasm /crying /whatiswrongwiththeworld!

26 Likes

2 Likes

Does it make me less of an asshole to wish that his lung cancer would just take him already, given my strong inkling that there’s such a thing as reincarnation? Or is that just as bad?

21 Likes

Wow, I never realized that the common cold had a mortality rate of 2-3%. So every grade school in the country with a couple hundred kids and staff should expect at least a couple dozen deaths a year?
And every time I’ve gotten a cold the last XX years of my life, I’ve been running a 2-3% risk of death! I’ve been pretty fucking lucky, as it turns out!

In uncertain times like this, I try and remember

19 Likes

I swear to Zeus, he was almost completely off the media track, until the Don Father debased that medal by giving it to a lying, supplement hawking, hate huckster.

11 Likes

That Presidential Medal of Freedom gives him Authority to speak on such matters, right? Listen up, plebes.
Also: He fanned the flames of the racist drug war while reportedly fighting(?) an opioid addiction.

15 Likes

Wait, you mean he isn’t dead yet?

5 Likes

Only his brain part.

19 Likes

He should really not worry about it, someone tell him advanced lung cancer is just a common cold.

16 Likes

And what a healthy beast he is…

… amIright?

12 Likes

Also, older people with lung problems likely have a higher rate of mortality than average.

10 Likes

For a garbage monster who, with this latest statement of dangerous disinformation, seems to want to take some rubes out with him (perhaps under the impression they’ll be his slaves in Hell)?

17 Likes

He’s a definite glory hole afficionado

4 Likes

The right wing conspiracy theorists will hold two truths simultaneously in their minds: the coronavirus is not a big deal and the media is blowing it out of proportion, and also the coronovirus is a laboratory-designed world-killer and our governments and media are lying to us to cover it up.

23 Likes

As I see it, Rush Limbaugh is the one person most responsible for the right wing’s reliance on making up facts to support their ideology. Once the conservative world saw he could make a pretty nice living telling a receptive audience “there are more trees in North America now than when the pilgrims landed” it was off to the races. A thousand authors, bloggers and talk show hosts followed suit.

In other words, this is not new for Rush Limbaugh. This is standard operating procedure. He needs to rile up his audience with stuff that supports their preferred worldview, and you have to make stuff up if you want to do that for a regular broadcast. Reality has a liberal bias.

24 Likes

And he’s been doing it for almost 30 years. When I lived out wets in the late 1980s and early 1990s I would do long road trips in my truck and it amused me to listen to right wing radio on those long drives. The crazy, unhinged bullshit you’d hear was funny in a way.

But at some point it stopped being funny and now I can’t listen to more than a couple of minutes before changing the channel. These charlatans have poisoned a generation with their lies and sent this country on a dangerous path. They have a lot to answer for

20 Likes

I can’t even follow. Why would one need to create a bioweapon of the common cold?

15 Likes