Chameleons, unseen for over a century, chillin' back at the hotel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/07/chameleons-unseen-for-over-a-century-chillin-back-at-the-hotel.html

8 Likes

A customer goes into a pet shop and asks “Do you have any chameleons?”

The owner bursts into tears, crying “I don’t know…”

31 Likes
13 Likes
12 Likes

(Seen on another story about this:)

Do we know it’s not a different chameleon camouflaged as a Voeltzkow’s chameleon?

22 Likes

Looked up chameleon in wikipedia, now I get it.

1 Like

You can tell by the pixels.

11 Likes

Came here for this, left satisfied

2 Likes

I mean… there’s some reason to think they didn’t want to be seen by large primates

8 Likes

Do they taste good?

3 Likes

Either that or they carry a bunch of cash; you don’t evolve a cloaking device for no reason

6 Likes

Only when rolling dirty.

1 Like

Technically they were likely seen by hotel guests.

Meanwhile the scientists weren’t even looking for them before now!

2 Likes
3 Likes

unseen for over a century

Not really surprising if their lifespan is the same as Labord’s chameleon, egg for longer than juvenile and adult.

3 Likes

“Not seen by researchers since 1913” can possibly be translated to: “Not bothered to be looked for by a white dude since the last white dude saw one in 1913.”

3 Likes

Most epic game of Hide and Seek ever played!

6 Likes

Just for the record, I know Frank Glaw, and I worked in Madagascar a couple of years ago. I could go on explaining why I take offense with your insinuation, but I’m fucking tired.
Let’s just say: you have no idea what you are talking about in this specific case.

I’m pretty pleased that this news is on BB. Thanks, Kevin.

6 Likes

Dear fellow boinger, you are absolutely right. I do not know what I am talking about in this instance. Please let me assure you that my off-hand jab about white imperialism was in no way meant to disparage the dedication and hard work of your friend (or you!). People in most fields of research are criminally underpaid, and they may be all that stands between all living things and Oblivion. My apologies if my remarks were unwarranted. I am thrilled at any good news about the state of our planet. Please extend my apologies to your colleague.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.