Champagne bottle fights back

Build a glovebox from a plastic crate. Good for opening (and working with) pressurized or smelly stuff.

1 Like

O.
M.
F.
G.

It just occurred to me. Maybe the reason this scene, and the Oregon Whale Explosion, arenā€™t swamped by time travelers is that the future version of events like these are just so much more exciting, hilarious, and uncanny that merely getting beaned by a flying rocket-bottle pales in comparison.

6 Likes

Good tip. I have one already, made of a clear plastic storage bin. Itā€™s for mycological pursuits. :smile:

2 Likes

I made myself one Just Because. Includes a chamber for moving stuff in/out - made of two sealed-lid food containers mounted bottom to bottom through the bin wall, then with a hole cut through all three.

Now I am thinking about a version with 3d-printed glove ports, scalable from large one into which a whole small lathe could fit down to a small one to use with surgical gloves for fine work.

1 Like

Iā€™d like to build a laminar flow hood, but I donā€™t know where Iā€™d put it right now.

1 Like

Tie a decent length of string around the cork (in that notch above the lip of the bottle), and the other end to something handy; then you can just reel it in.

1 Like

Do it! :stuck_out_tongue: And document the build. A place can be found later. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have been similarly surprised by a batch of ginger beer. Only I did it inside unwittingly. There was a puddle on the ceiling, which is a surprising sight.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s how they spell it in Illinois.

2 Likes

January 1st, all the cheap champagne goes on clearance.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve done the same. One got so pressurised that it pushed out all the dimples in the bottom of the bottle, and left stretch marks in the plastic after opening. Pumping up a bottle with an air pump gave the same results at about 100psi, if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

My brotherā€™s birthday is Jan. 1st. Noone ever wants to go for a drink with himā€¦

1 Like

Or beer, if one is underage (say, 16) and hiding cans of Busch under the car seat.

ETA: In late summer, in Texas.

2 Likes

For science!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.