Charitable Giving Guide

[Permalink]

For those of us Australians who don’t want to be tarred with Tony Abbott and Scott Morisson’s fetid, morally shit-streaked brush, donating to the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre is a good way to restore some humanity to our treatment of refugees.

2 Likes

A couple favorites:

Let’s not forget the locals:

• Whoever your local food bank may be. Mine is Roadrunner Food Bank
    (Albuquerque), last year it was United Food Bank (Phoenix).
  • Big Brothers/Big Sisters.
  • And finally, one that too often slides below the radar because they
    have to maintain security: your local shelter for abused women and
    children.
2 Likes

And remember that if you can’t afford to write a check this year, they can always use clothing, toys, and household stuff.

Especially furniture. When my kids grew up, the local shelter (Sojourner Center in PHX) was absolutely delighted to get some bunk beds and other basics.

2 Likes

Local women’s shelter, local animal shelter, and UNRWA’s Gaza fund (Infrastructure, food, schools, and children’s aid in Gaza).

a local food bank could always use some help.

3 Likes

Please everyone give to your local animal shelters! Especially those of us in colder climates.
Those animals need homes and food and love.

My tiny Montessori school in the middle of nowhere http://igg.me/at/alpinemontessori/x/4426090 . We keep our children involved in OTHER giving projects as well (from donations of time to fundraising).

2 Likes

I support the Coalition for Responsible Home Education, a 501c3 that advocates for the interests of homeschooled children. Legal oversight of homeschooling is shockingly lax–only half of states require homeschooled children to be assessed academically; less than half require homeschoolers to have contact with mandatory reporters, and only two states prohibit registered sex offenders from homeschooling. This has led to hundreds of horrifically abused homeschooled children, including more than 100 killed by child abuse and neglect. The Coalition for Responsible Home Education is standing up for these children by advocating for more legal protections for them. CRHE also conducts methodologically sound research on homeschooling and creates resources for homeschooling parents, students, and alumni. CRHE is holding a December fund drive, which you can contribute to on their website.

Local Mother’s Milk Bank, EFF.

Child’s Play is my charity of choice, and has been since the charity started. It really hit home last year when my friend’s son was diagnosed with brain cancer and had to spend some time at Sick Kid’s in Toronto…

The Climate Relief Fund is a new nonprofit that raises money to people affected by severe weather disasters, while making the connection between these disasters to climate change. Right now they are raising money to help people in the Philippines recover from Typhoon Hagupit, which hit just one year after the devastating Typhoon Haiyan in the same region. 100% of donations go to groups on the ground doing immediate relief and long-term recovery. A good choice this holiday season.

NRA. Because there’s a really one-sided thing going on here.

The National Register of Archives is a useful source of historical information, but it is a UK government agency. I don’t think you can donate money to them (taxes don’t count).

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call it one-sided as I don’t necessarily expect an Australian focus here, but I’d agree, Neuroscience Research Australia wouldn’t be a bad place to donate your money.

Edit: Heh. Paused while writing this post to answer a call, ninja’d by @the_borderer

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.