Charleston shooter Dylann Roof found guilty in racist 2015 massacre of 9 black church members

I think I’d go with @bibliophile20’s label of “Mammonite” rather than “Christian,” because the teachings of Christ were emphatically the opposite of “you hurt us, so we’ll hurt you.” I’m not disputing that a lot of people carried out that philosophy in Jesus’s name, but I’d put the blame on those guys rather than the guy whose teachings they were completely ignoring.

As for “late capitalist,” I’m not sure what you mean. It’s a lot more expensive to go through all of the due process necessary to execute someone than it is to just imprison them for the rest of their natural life. So, if you mean “capitalist” in the sense of “getting your money’s worth,” I agree, but if you mean it in the sense of “help our friends (i.e. lawyers and prisons) make as much money off of the system as possible,” then I agree.

Again, I think that the bigger cost is in providing due process, rather than in the actual imprisonment. With the numbers that the USA are imprisoning, there should be a fantastic economy of scale.

3 Likes