Chart reveals that the final season of Game of Thrones has horrible ratings

This is what I’m finding. The recent huge fiction megastories aren’t just giving me superhero fatigue, they’re giving me fiction fatigue. I’ve been giving up on TV shows at a far higher rate than ever before. The idea of spending time rewatching a TV show is ludicrous, and frankly with a US series of 22/23 episodes in the MCU series of films, it’s made films feel like TV and chipped away at the rewatchability of them too.

If work didn’t wreck me so badly I’d probably give up on traditional TV and most films.

1 Like

I would have to disagree. The battle was stupid and terrible and horribly planned. They won by sheer writer`s luck. And yes, I do think that it should have lasted more than two episodes worth. I mean, we’ve been told to anticipating this for years and the end battle was shite. I mean, they Custered all their horses in one shot, The dragons sat around watching half the time. They put the solders out in front of the protective fire pit. And they had absolutely no plan for all the dead. (Why isn’t cremation a standard practice for these people? (At the very least they should have had the children running around chopping heads off the corpses. That would have been a scene worthy of GoT)

6 Likes

Alrighty then

There’s also the problem that they didn’t bother to give the Dothraki weapons that could kill wights. That only got fixed by plot drama.

And that’s the underlying issue, really - the battle was very carefully planned to be dramatic. No-one wasted any time on making it sensible.

5 Likes

For me GoT is the embodiment of the sunk cost fallacy.

If this wasn’t the last season, I would have dropped it (at some point in the last season). But since it’s the last season, I can’t help but “okay, let’s just see how it ends.”

2 Likes

I’ve read a few of the complaints against this season, but I just don’t seem to agree with the criticism, I’ve enjoyed this season. If anything is bothering me is that its coming to an end soon and I think that’s probably why people are complaining, I never heard these complaints about the last two seasons even though they were pretty slow and meandering while this season has been fast paced and action packed.

1 Like

It’s almost as if having multiple years pass in between seasons isn’t a great way to maintain audience enthusiasm.

5 Likes

I’ve never seen GoT, but this sounds like Oz’s relationship with gratuitous penises. Does it advance the plot? Nope, but hey, everybody wants to see Christopher Meloni’s dick so it’s cool.

I have a browser extension called “video speed controller” it’s great for binging. Once you’re used to it you can watch shows at 1.7x or even 1.8x speed.

1 Like

That sounds amazing. I’ve gotten used to listening to podcasts and audiobooks at higher speeds and when I watch TV it seems so slow and I look for that speedup setting.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the series because I didn’t have the chance to finish the books so my comment is what it is, probably biased an shallow but for what I have been reading/watching, most critics say that since they ran out of written material, the quality of the show has been steadily declining.

The first session after that pretty much went on the inertia from the previous ones, but when it came to continue the story it quickly became too formulaic and predictable.

Also I am getting a lot of mixed messages, one day I read in the newspaper that chapter 3 was a victory for female representation and against the patriarchy and on the same media, a week later I read another piece on how GoT has betrayed all the female characters in the series (I suppose by committing the sin of not meeting the expectations of the commentator)

Anyway, what is clear to me is that like many of the latest forms of mass entertainment, a TV show is no longer a TV show, it has to meet a detailed and long list of criteria in order to be considered kosher. Which, if in my opinion is precisely against what George R.R. Martin’s intended to do with the books. I clearly remember reading the books and being shocked on amount of characters that where developed and killed in the space of a couple of chapters.

1 Like

To be fair, this season hasn’t been at all gratuitous, boob-wise. There’s been sex scenes, but the nudity has been shot from the back, the side, in shadow, or just suggested.

Which seasons had multiple years between them? Maybe you’re thinking Rick and Morty? :wink:

1 Like

Dramatic and also concerns about budget. Game of Thrones has a huge budget compared to most TV series but it still doesn’t compare to the budget of big movies. Example horses are expensive either CGI or real. Not only were the calvary killed off quickly, they were done in a dramatic fashion that was relatively cheap, disappearing lights and then just seeing the aftermath.

The whole battle was very budget conscious.

2 Likes

Well, they are now adapting an barebones outline from GRR Martin instead of a full novel to pull from. The showrunners and writers now have to write their own material instead of adapting existing material with lots of details. That to me is the main reason that it all feels so incredibly rushed.

1 Like

You’re not the only one.

2 Likes

Also…

george-martin-ruin-readers-lives

But Neil’s not wrong…

(And this is for someone who really wants those last 2 books)

6 Likes

My father once said that is because “It is easier to ask interesting questions than to provide convincing answers.”

6 Likes

Yes, fortunately, that’s my job, asking interesting questions, which hopefully people who are meant to provide some kind of answers to use to get to better, more fair and equitable answers…

2 Likes

Also to be fair…we have had a lot more focus on the main characters and far less ancillary throw away characters. Additionally, those main characters (like Dany) are no longer the unknown actor they were in season 1…so getting Clarke to be in a nude scene in season 8 is a lot more problematic than when it was season 1.

I disagree with the above poster’s assertion that just because it is on HBO and could do whatever they want meant gratuitous sex and nudity was how the attracted viewers…there are plenty of hit shows in HBO’s history that had little or even any nudity whatsoever. I think the producer’s followed what GRRM put down in the books…which had a lot of gratuitous nudity and far more gratuitous violence. What we saw was just what was described in the books…end of story.

1 Like