Check out some classic flicks that the RZA sampled for the Wu-Tang Clan's discography

Originally published at: Check out some classic flicks that the RZA sampled for the Wu-Tang Clan's discography | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Physically impossible to hear Lo Lieh say “tiger style” and not play the track

6 Likes

And of course…
Lone Wolf and Cub / Shogun Assassin

Liquid Swords

4 Likes

That’s how I feel about the Toad Style clip from Five Deadly Venoms.

3 Likes

ah yes, great post @dnealy , but did you know that the public domain music whichever kung fu movie used (Master Killer as it turns out) and subsequently sampled by Rza for the intro to Tical was actually Mussorgsky’s Pictures At An Exhibition?

5 Likes

I had no idea. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I flipped out when I heard Mussorgsky on the radio a few years ago

3 Likes

RZA has good taste.

It wasn’t a hit but I enjoyed RZA’s movie immensely:

Unrelated, but I think of this frequently when old kung fu classics come up:

4 Likes

I would love if both Wu-Tang and Skinny Puppy could put together film box sets of where they got their samples from… it would be an excellent set of kung-fu films in one, and horror films in the other…

2 Likes

RZA’s skills as a producer are incomparable.

2 Likes

I know this!

SMOTHERED HOPE - “The world’s a hell; what does it matter what happens in it?” - Shadow of a Doubt

FRAIL - “They’re alive! They’re human beings!” - Shadow of a Doubt

BRAP - “You cannot hurt me you fool! I am not one of you!” - Andy Warhol’s Dracula

ICE BREAKER - “Welcome to my house. I’m delighted you could come…” - The Legend of Hell House

THE CHOKE - “If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head or me and my body?” - The Tennant

BASEMENT - “Drug addiction, alcoholism, sadism, beastiality, mutilation, murder, vampirism, necrophilia, cannibalism…” - The Legend of Hell House

SHADOW CAST - “They live on fear” & “You got that last slaughter on tape, you play it on the radio!” - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

DRAINING FACES - “You’ll forgive me if I don’t stay around to watch. I just can’t cope with freaky stuff.” - Videodrome

200 YEARS - “What’s wrong with you? What’s wrong with everybody in this crazy place!?” & all other samples - The Twilight Zone, episode Elegy

BURNT WITH WATER - The Exorcist (duh)

WHO’S LAUGHING NOW - Evil Dead II (duh)

FASCIST JOCK ITCH - “Jesus wept!” - Hellraiser “Fornicator!” - The Devils “Brothers should be close, don’t you think?” - Scanners

2 Likes

That’d be a hell of a box set!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.