Check out the "Grand Penthouse" of San Francisco's tilting Millennium Tower

Originally published at: Check out the "Grand Penthouse" of San Francisco's tilting Millennium Tower | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Misleading title should be “Check out the “Grand Penthouse” of San Francisco’s tilting Millennium Tower…before it started tilting”

5 Likes

That vid is the cure for insomnia.

7 Likes

Started in 2015, declared in 2016.

3 Likes

My old Swedish carpenter great uncle used to keep a large marble in his wonderful tool bag to test the level of floors, beams, and what-not (bubble levels being too obtrusive?). Makes me wonder how fast that marble would now run across that fancy-schmancy penthouse floor.

penthouse (n.) … French pente “slope,” and English house (the meaning at that time was “attached building with a sloping roof or awning.)”

12 Likes

Updated:

37 Likes

Mildly disappointed.
Was hoping to see furniture piled up in one corner, maybe the goldfish swimming uphill.
Y’know, normal tilty stuff.

ETA: @Brainspore That’s more like it. That’s the good stuff.

16 Likes

I was hoping for something Letterman-esque, like some 1" steel balls to being dropped in the center of the living room.

7 Likes

Here in the UK, we use these:

Obviously joking, but there was a lovely ad from the (90’s?) that featured a woman checking the level of incompetent hubby’s shelf by employing the “Small Geezer”.
It stuck in my head, don’t hate me for it.

12 Likes

… in the morning, when I roll out of bed … haha

7 Likes

19 Likes

I don’t understand, are wealthy persons meant to live there? Why is it modeled after the conference center of a mid level Holiday Inn?

8 Likes

I’ve recently noticed an awful (key word here) lot of rich people houses have living rooms that look like hotel lobbies, and other rooms that look like conference rooms. They gen’lly own multiple places, and rarely actually live in any of them - maybe the look of hotels feels homey to them, but it sure makes reg’lar folks like us feel cold and/or confused as to why TF anyone would want that.

9 Likes

Where novelty dribble glasses are redundant.

3 Likes

10 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve just ordered a box to come with my groceries; thanks for the reminder.

2 Likes

No need for the finishes to clash just because they are from adjacent buildings!
Needs a bunch of inset blow-ups of West Enders art, or Stable Diffusion takes from it. Each mounted on a base-jumping parachute. Lots of those pneumatic tumbling clear balls in the corners that aren’t showers (lol, not bathtubs; that would be telling.)

1 Like

Your shelves not so good, either?

1 Like

I will find out :smile: