Check out the origins of iconic hip hop samples

Originally published at: Check out the origins of iconic hip hop samples | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I guess this one was too simple to make a video of

Larry Mizell, Jr. hosts “the Afternoon Show” on Seattle’s KEXP (streaming at https://www.kexp.org), every Thursday is “OG Thursday” where Larry breaks down the lineage of an artist album or track. I’ve learned more about music since Larry took over the afternoon show than I learned in my previous 50 years of life.

2 Likes

Blue Note Records put out a series of compilations called “Blue Break Beats” that consisted solely of tracks from their vaults that had been sampled by hip hop artists. I took perverse pleasure in the fact that sometimes the liner notes misidentified the hip hop song that had sampled a particular track.

I mean, how hard is it to find an obsessively pedantic hip hop fan/writer who takes pleasure in correcting the mistakes of less learned wannabe hip scholars?

→ I’M RIGHT HERE, BLUE NOTE!!! ←

4 Likes

Don’t have time to watch it now, does it include arguably the most popular sample in hip-hop - the orchestra stabs from Stravinsky’s Firebird?

there was a brief time when hip hop groups were sampling their contemporaries’ pop hits

sample:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sample:

2 Likes

I’d argue it’s the Amen break:

Although it’s used in basically every genre of music that uses samples not just hiphop

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.