Check out the teaser for the Doctor Who: Doom's Day 60th Anniversary Special

Originally published at: Check out the teaser for the Doctor Who: Doom's Day 60th Anniversary Special | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Wtf GIF by MOODMAN

Wow… uh. I am apprehensively skeptical but will try to keep an open mind.

EDIT: I’ve been looking forward to celebrating the 60th anniversary and will absolutely be doing so, even if that involves just a stack of my own DVDs.

6 Likes

They should just hang around a quarry! Everyone knows you can’t throw a rock in a quarry without hitting a Tardis or three.

10 Likes

I know that Who is famed for using special effects that make TOS Star Trek seem like Skywalker Ranch but…this feels like it was done as a fan film on an iPhone. Or one of the videos you see before you go into an escape room.

7 Likes

I’m hoping this is a fan-film by that promo.

2 Likes

This is a tie in to the 60th, but not the main televised stories for it. This is their second try at making a story that is carried through out the expanded media universe. The first try was Time Lord Victorious:

That was met with mixed reviews. I picked up some of the audio stories from that series. They were okay, but it never felt like a cohesive epic story. Maybe they will be more successful with this go.

5 Likes

i’m at least a season behind, so i don’t even know who Doom is, but i had to laugh at the title of “Doom’s Day” – good one, good one.

1 Like

Yeah, special effects (or lack thereof) aside, the whole thing feels weirdly amateurish, even for something associated with Doctor Who. The spinning to the camera bit in particular feels like a student film, it’s so awkward.

Ah, okay - it seems like this isn’t a video project at all, but involves books, comics, audio dramas and video games. Looking at the website, they talk about it “kicking off on digital channels” (whatever that means), but if this won’t actually take the form of video at any point, that would explain things - the promo feels like it was put together by people who normally do audio work…

3 Likes

INSOLENT FOOL, NO ONE LAUGHS AT DOOM!

3 Likes

I had no idea the “Time Lord Victorious” had any legs to it whatsoever.

If they plan for it to be across various bits of media, they might want to get that info out there. But also, I really really find it unlikely for most people to go past the TV show. I am a voracious reader, but there are so many books and graphic novels out these days that I can’t even read all I want, much less some new stuff.

Edit - reading more about it, it sounds like it was a combination of bad timing and bad execution. It happened right around the start of COVID, but they didn’t have anything ready so most of it didn’t kick off until the following year, and it tied in the 8th, 9th, and 10th doctor but the 12th was on the screen at the time…and, the cherry on the cake, it had NFTs.

3 Likes

well, THAT would be an interesting crossover, lol

This turned up on Twitter before I got to the trailer:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.