Allons-y, the teaser trailer for the Doctor Who 60th anniversary specials is here

Originally published at: Allons-y, the teaser trailer for the Doctor Who 60th anniversary specials is here | Boing Boing

4 Likes

The wait until November is going to be torturous because this looks so good.

4 Likes

Could that be Neil Patrick Harris as the Celestial Toymaker? Inspired casting if so!

7 Likes

Can’t wait!

Happy Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

4 Likes

I think they took a story from the Doctor Who comic books! (Won’t give spoilers in case it is, but involved big bug creatures chasing little furry creature.)

If it is from the comics, that would be a first!

I think it is!!! Squeee!!!

3 Likes

That was also the story that kicked off the Marvel reprints of the Doctor Who Magazine comics from the mid-80s.

3 Likes

I have a hypothesis that he’s another Master from the Land of Fiction (The Mind Robber).

2 Likes

IS there some kind of episode list of “must see episodes of Doctor Who for noobs” somewhere on the BBS? I didn’t find one, and I am in utter disbelief.

3 Likes

Cool, Dave Gibbon’s artwork. I’ll never understand how he could turn out such beautifully pencilled and inked work so quickly.

@LutherBlisset I would suggest starting with the “Unearthly Child” and working forward; that way you’d temper your expectations. For me, I started an episode or two in to “Carnival of Monsters”, and I was just the right age to get sucked in. I really enjoyed the run from “Robot” to “Logopolis”; the Tom Baker Years.

3 Likes

A few of us had a mini freakout back in June because we think we saw him in Cardiff with his family, no doubt taking a break from filming this in Bad Wolf studios. We didn’t bother him, of course.

4 Likes

If anyone is interested, there is a “motion comic” of the story on YT.

I had the entire series, plus, the four issue Marvel Premiere run they did in 1981.

Had. I’d lent them to a friend and he left them behind after he moved out of his apartment.

2 Likes

@LutherBlisset If you start off with An Unearthly Child and go from there, keep in mind that BBC TV production nearly 60 years ago was extremely primitive. They were basically live plays being recorded. Nowadays, I steer folks clear of the Classic Series because, well, even since the last season in 1989 TV production has changed.

If you do want a good intro to Doctor Who, start with the 2005 reboot. It fills you in on all the mythos and, if you choose, can go back to the Classic Series to “fill in the gaps”.

4 Likes

Certainly, the production value of the reboot series is great; though I’m not so sure about the quality of the scripts. I feel that they concentrate too much on making the Dr a super important character in the story of the entire Chronoverse; rather than just a very capable troubleshooter.

I miss the old episodal seasons with their standard, but flexible plot structure.
1: There is something nasty in Sector 7G.
2: The TARDIS arrives, and the Dr is suspected of being to blame for the trouble.
3: The Dr escapes and explores Sector 7G.
4a: The Dr discovers that there is something terrible lurking in Sector 7G and enlists the locals in defeating it.
4b: The Dr discovers that the locals and responsible for the trouble in Sector 7G and puts them straight.

6 Likes

I agree with you. The Modern Series has given the Doctor an Apotheosis. Like you, I miss the days when they were just travelling the universe righting wrongs.

Also, good summation of The Face of Evil. :wink:

5 Likes

And don’t get me started on heroic level assistants! A good assistant, like Dr Watson, should be there to allow the protagonist to explain things to the audience through. :smile:

4 Likes

You mean Doctor Donna The Impossible Girl Who Waited For A Bad Wolf?

I adored the fact that Thirteen’s fam had no special powers, abilities, or destinies.

5 Likes

I get that the show needs to find a balance in these things. At the same time, I don’t mind it that much just because the Doctor becoming important to the Universe feels like a natural progression of events given just how long he’s been travelling around saving the day. There is merit to both approaches.

2 Likes

That was the holdover from the very beginning where Doctor Who was going to be educational about science and technology. The everyday companion (or if they were female - ‘assistant’) was there to ask the obvious questions and have stuff explained to them.

The definitive companion is still Sarah Jane Smith.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with an occasional Janis thorn or batch of Ntro-9.

4 Likes

I just find it annoying with the reboot Doctors, where they don’t explain anything to anyone; and then the plot all happens in the last 5 minutes of episode, with the Dr pulling an, “Ah, yes, just as planned.” It isn’t very episode, but the pacing seems to be off for a lot of them; a lot of Act 1, no Act 2, and an Act 3 Ex Machina. :smile: Personally, I blame JJ Abrams and his lazy “mystery box” storytelling for seeping in to adventure media.

3 Likes