Check out these MacPaint masterpieces from the 1980s

Originally published at: Check out these MacPaint masterpieces from the 1980s | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Brings back the memories. I have a couple of original pieces I made when fooling around with MacPaint back then. They’re not masterpieces, but maybe I’ll add them in.

7 Likes

I’m doodle scribbling, Right Now!

3 Likes

A little while back I decided to see how well I could make Illustrator pretend to be MacPaint - or, more specifically, MacPaint printed out with watercolors over it, ala the comic “Shatter”.

I was able to do this surprisingly quickly with the help of a few plugins. Details here if you’re curious.

I kinda want to revisit this someday and spend more than about ten minutes on the actual drawing, now that I have a bunch of effects set up. Adding some more fill patterns would probably go a long way to making it really feel MacPaint.

7 Likes

It would be remiss to discuss Macpaint art without mentioning Zen and the Art of the Macintosh.

2 Likes

A year later this was available…
http://theamigamuseum.com/software/applications/deluxe-paint/

5 Likes

I taught myself MacPaint in 1985. It indirectly led me to become a graphic designer & image retoucher, all of which I taught myself. I still recall sitting down in the computer lab at college and asking the tech guy: What can this Macintosh do? His answer: What would you like it to do? That mind blowing response was the beginning for me and I’m still doing it almost 40 years later.

2 Likes

So I still have all my copies of Shatter comics somewhere that started out on MacPaint as well.

It billed itself as the first comic drawn entirely on a computer because suddenly MacPaint let people do that:

5 Likes

I was going to mention Shatter. At the time, it was mind blowing!

1 Like

Bil Atkinson was a genius. MacPaint was one thing, but the guy also went ahead and came up with HyperCard and HyperTalk, which went on to inspire Lingo (Macromedia Director) and human-readable script languages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.