Check out this ultrasonic cleaner that’s like carrying a washing machine in your pocket

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/10/check-out-this-ultrasonic-clea.html

looks awfully similar to $50 products on amazon, with awful reviews

Are you going to sell snake oil on this site soon?
Seriously, get some standards into what you’re promoting.

2 Likes

You can also hook it up to your car battery to dissolve kidney stones.

4 Likes

Easy there, Rakahan!
BoingBoing’s has a black face and more buttons, it’s not all whitey-tighty minimalist like that Amazon thingy.

Facts! You gotta pay attention to the facts!

How do I know this?
I’m the President of the Forum Critics and Complainers Local 3488, so I oughta know.
[struts away all high and haughty]

Only $40 on aliexpress. Still maybe a bit rich for my tastes when you can buy little tide packets to clean in a sink while traveling.

Their own explanation of the product on their site uses reaction gifs:

That does not put me in mind of a professional outfit, If I’m doing my due diligence.

Has there been any official word from the Boing Boing big shots about the store?

A lot of the products popping up on the feed seem to be directly juxtaposed with the overall message of the site, we often see dodgy looking VPN solutions, adverts for all kinds of bunkum science gadgets, even DNA tests which have been outright slammed by articles on the site - seems that at the end of the day that the almighty dollar trumps all (pun probably intended), even for our well wishing mutant founders.

Also, I know I’m likely flogging a dead horse here, I’ve commented many a time on these adverts, usually with the same tone.

e: also of relevance, a page from a Beijing utrasonic company, who would arguably have a very good case for upselling ultrasonic devices for clothes washing simply for profit, but actually provide information stating that ultrasonic devices aren’t really that efficient at cleaning clothes:

https://www.bjultrasonic.com/ultrasonic-cleaning-faqs/why-dont-we-use-ultrasonic-energy-to-clean-clothes/

1 Like

TSA: What’s this?
Citizen: It’s a ultrasonic cleaning machine
TSA: Okay dokey…we have toilet paper now.

2 Likes

Flog away. Dead horses are nasty public health hazards and obstacles to traffic.

In the future, we will have Ultrasonic Toilet Paper.

George Jetson’s rectum will never be the same.

Anything can be a sex toy when you’re brave enough.

3 Likes

I swear +20 years ago on Discover Channel’s Beyond 2000 they showed ultrasonic washing machines. They were more of an industrial prototype design, less home use. I think the major two take aways were, without some type detergent odors didn’t necessarily get removed well and water usage. If you are going to use detergent then you have to rinse. On the other hand you can wash multiple times using the same water, but people were not keen on that idea.

200-1

2 Likes

Sure. The word is that BB has actual employees, who need actual salaries, and therefore the site needs to produce actual revenue. As a popular site, it also has actual server costs. The store and the ads are the way they earn enough to pay for all this.

They have carefully considered all the other revenue streams that posters repeatedly speculate would be better, and decided they would be not as good. As they are more experienced with the economics of running a popular website than everyone who engages in this speculation, I am inclined to take their word on that.

seems that at the end of the day that the almighty dollar trumps all (pun probably intended), even for our well wishing mutant founders.

Seeking revenue to maintain operations is not greed.

Also, I know I’m likely flogging a dead horse here, I’ve commented many a time on these adverts, usually with the same tone.

Fortunately for you, @jlw is famous for his patience with such posts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.