Watch this ultrasonic obliterator do its thing in super slow-mo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/21/watch-this-ultrasonic-obliterator-do-its-thing-in-super-slow-mo.html

4 Likes

I don’t care what names he tells us this bit of lab equipment is known by - it’s a frickin’ Sonic Screwdriver!!

PS I now want one of these to make my salad dressings with. And maybe as an alternative wood drill! :wink:

Hmmm - they’re not cheap, of course.

8 Likes

So cool!

Years and years ago, I got a sonicator in a lot of surplus. A friend and I turned it on in the warehouse and it didn’t seem to do anything, then suddenly both of us felt like a steel spike had entered the backs of our brains. We pawed at it to turn it off and after finally succeeding, found the power level was on 2 - of 10. I gave it to another friend and tried not to think of the pain again. I’m surprised the slomo guy didn’t notice or mention it - or maybe his was lower power or never run long enough to spike his brain. It did take a little while of operation to achieve brain spike.

4 Likes

These are also very useful for separating alien symbiots from disgruntled journalists.

1 Like

My first thought was cocktails.
For $1200 I could see a hiptster cocktail lounge using one of these to homogenize ingredients.

I suppose the sound it makes might make it undesirable to have in a pub or lounge.

3 Likes

Designing the surgical version of these (like when he was cutting the apple) has been my career for the last 25 years. 20+ patents in the US alone. Used in at least 5 million surgeries each year. Sonicators are a simplified version. If you have questions, I’ve got the answers.

Some fun facts not mentioned in the video.

I estimate the tip is accelerating at about 1,000,000 m/s2. Yeah, around 100,000 Gs. Which is on the low side. I work with stuff in the 500,000 to 700,000 Gs range.

Ever flex a piece of metal until it breaks? These do something similar, but much higher forces. I estimate 30,000 psi 30,000 times a second for these. I usually aim for double. But the don’t break. Using the right alloy and some other tricks, I’ve cycled stuff at 50,000 psi 40 billion times. Without breaking.

8 Likes

Nevermind the flying car, i want my sonic shower!

1 Like

MenacingUnimportantEmperorshrimp-max-1mb

If you play an ultrasonic obliterator in slow motion, do you just get a sonic obliterator?

Has this ever been exploited in the sex toy industry?

I was thinking about this video, and I’d really like to see them use the sonicator on a non-newtonian fluid. Ideally, there would be a clear one to see the effect of the cavitation, but I don’t know if a clear, non-newtonian fluid exists.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.