Chelsea Manning is challenging Maryland Democratic Senator Benjamin L Cardin in the 2018 elections

7 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

By third parties, I was referring to Fancy Bear and Cozy Bear, and not to minor political parties such as the Natural Law Party.

I can see where you might get confused, though.

I believe that in Maryland it does. They changed the state constitution after former State Senator* Tommie Broadwater ran for office while in prison for foodstamp fraud.

*a legislator in the Maryland State government rather than the US Senate

1 Like

I think she won’t win the primary, and I hope she invests in bringing the GOP candidate to task too. However, if she gets through the scrutiny this time she will be basically free to do any other political activity she wants. If she wants to invest herself in US politics, then this might be the only way to have long term success since the “Russian agent blah blah” attacks will only work once.

3 Likes

Maybe Chelsea Manning is running so she has an opportunity to explain, in detail, why she was a whistleblower.

1 Like
6 Likes

She was an idealist that did what she felt was necessary to expose war crimes? Doesn’t seem to hard for me to grok.

8 Likes

You’re speaking reasonese. It’s a foreign language for many people.

5 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

Does Maryland have an open primary for Senator?

Soooooo many people are ready to shout death to the traitor at anyone who challenges or subverts the authority of the federal government, but then bitch and moan about the fascist, surveillance, police state. LOL, dimwits. These two ideas are mutually exclusive. You can’t have it both ways. Good for her. May her campaign bring light to the dark corners.

1 Like

Oh, but context, it means so much.

I thought this might happen but did not voice my suspicion on here yesterday, aaaand it seems to be confirmed. I assumed some democrats would have a problem with Manning and i was curious why she didn’t run as an independent or under another party, still i wish her luck regardless if she is successful or not.

There might be a small difference between a police state nominally responsible to the electorate, and a police state that recieves its orders from elsewhere.

context

the photo is captioned “2000”, when both individuals were acting in an official capacity.

4 Likes

And back in 2000, after Yeltsin and the horrible mess Russia was in after the Soviet Union went belly-up, Putin looked pretty good. Now, in 2018, after years and years of ever more authoritarian rule and elimination of credible opposition (sometimes by eliminating politicians and journalists in the most literal fashion possible), he looks quite a bit worse.

4 Likes

War record, held prisoner by hostile forces, tortured. Hmm.