Chemicals that can both help and harm

[Permalink]

A weird way to put it, though; every drug that can help can also harm in larger quantities. I guess maybe there could be some you would drown in first. But generally the dose makes the poison, as Paracelsus said some five hundred years ago.

3 Likes

And warfarinā€™s precursor is useful in dye lasers.

I was kind of expecting nitroglycerin to make the list, but I guess that falls into a different category of harm.

2 Likes

just one of millions of chemicals that can both seriously fuck you up and save your life.

FTFY

1 Like

I was referring to the article I linked to. Iā€™ll go back and clarify that a bit.

Therapeutic index might be a useful term to throw in here. Yes, the dose makes the poison. But for some compounds that window is tighter and the onset of negative side effects is much more dramatic.

5 Likes

The rat poison example for help and harm actually has an interesting side. Dogs and cats and other pets will throw the stuff up if they eat someā€¦ but rats are incapable of vomiting, so it kills them. And hopefully only makes your dog sick for a little bit.

1 Like

That one blew me away :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

While those four are extreme examples, as others have pointed out there are many things that have beneficial properties at low doses and detrimental effects at higher doses. Fat soluble vitamins come to mind.

Hormesis

Hormesis Defined

My husband is now on Coumadin for the rest of his life, thanks to a genetic issue that resulted in a section of his aorta being replaced, as well as his mitral valve. Science, for the win!

1 Like

Thanks to a pacemaker, Iā€™m now a cyborg and on blood thinners for life myself, although Iā€™m on Pradaxa now, not warfarin. The side effects with warfarin were really getting to me. It would take a 90 degree day for me to feel comfortable, anything less would make me feel cold, and bundling up with layers and warm coats didnā€™t help much, I felt like I was freezing. Ohio winters felt warmer, and I live in north Florida. Now I donā€™t get tested monthly, I donā€™t bleed as much, and Iā€™m comfortable at 69 degrees again.

Indeed, science for the win!

1. Coumadin compounds are also used in expensive designer fragrance shower gels, as a kind of ā€œvanilla likeā€ aroma.

Of course, you wash all the coumadin off, so thereā€™s NO CHANCE you will have a blood-thinner effect.

1. There are a vast number of drugs that interact with blood-thinners, so itā€™s a common rookie mistake to kill a patient on blood thinners. IE. Science for the LOSE.
1 Like

Abridged That For You

1 Like

ā€œOf course too much is bad for you! Thatā€™s what ā€œtoo muchā€ means!ā€

just like waterā€¦one of those crazy ā€œchemicalsā€ that you can either make into delicious beer, or drown in. people have to stop using the word ā€œchemicalā€ only when they mean something harmful, or made in a lab. everything is chemicals.

2 Likes

Can the original headline be restored AND be reused for every similar article? Same goes for the lede, but just have it be ā€œX is found in Y, but it is also a key ingredient used in/to help/prevent/allow Z. Just a great example of how chemicals can both seriously fuck you up and save your life.ā€

I loved all of the original. :smile:

There will be less click-throughs if you arenā€™t able to say that chemical XYZ will do ABC to your JKL.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.