Cherokee Nation asks Jeep to drop the name

Let’s call it Fiat Chivasso. Happy now?

I drive a Grand Cherokee.

At least they got a relatively good car named after them. Everyone in the country had cause to be upset at the Rambler American.

1 Like

I figured that the helicopters were a nod to the Indian Scouts.

And there was an active attempt to tie helicopter units to horse mounted calvary, though Coppola might be exaggerating a bit

The practice of naming weapons, and developing systems of nomenclature that might prove to be subsequently problematic (cf Paladin and Crusader) was instigated by the British.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/6yrysq/would_anyone_be_able_to_help_me_understand_the/

It’s weird seeing the number 64 with a character like that and having it not be some forgotten or unreleased game for Nintendo’s console.

2 Likes

Just the year of publication… I have the yearbooks for 1964, '65, '66, and '67… when I attended. I might have my mother’s 1949 in her cedar chest, too. Haven’t opened it in decades.

1 Like

Yep, there’s a couple of layers wrong here… “Indian” as a mistake for ‘naming’ North American native cultures, using the word to evoke power and fllight, as well as the way that stereotypes of Asian Indian culture and motorcycles evokes a more utilitarian mode of transport.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.