Cleveland baseball team no longer to be called 'Indians'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/14/cleveland-baseball-team-no-longer-to-be-called-indians.html

3 Likes

About damn time

Will they become the Cleveland Colonizers, like in Brockmire?

17 Likes

The Aboutfuckingtimes?

20 Likes

Here’s to hoping they can come up with something better than The Washington " " Football Team.

11 Likes

The Cleveland Rocks? It’s already the theme song when the team wins at home.

18 Likes

The name didn’t bother me, but the absurd mascot did. But sounds like a change in the right direction.

4 Likes

While Washington blew it this year (I’m still hopeful they see the genius of ‘Washington Starship’ next year), I’m going to get my pick in early for Cleveland.

Cleveland Rocks

6 Likes

That’s the low-hanging fruit.

Perhaps the Spiders or the Blue Sox might be more historically apropos.

5 Likes

Damn! Just as I was typing mine! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Steamers, people. They’re cowards if they don’t go with that.

15 Likes

Growing up in Cleveland I was totally desensitized to the Indians name and mascot (as absurd as that sounds). When you see it everywhere every day it loses shock value. It wasn’t until I moved to Kansas and bought a house several blocks away from Haskell Indian Nations University that I realized how messed up it was to have an Indians jersey in my closet. Hearing pow-wow drums in the distance on warm summer evenings changes one‘s perspective and helps build an appreciation for the culture. (Incidentally, Haskell University’s athletic team mascot name is also known as The Indians, but they are probably the only team that has earned the right.) A lot of people in Cleveland will be angry about this change but they don’t understand. They need to get out of Ohio for a bit and see things from a different perspective. I support Cleveland baseball and welcome whatever name change will come. Here’s an idea…

16 Likes

The Cleveland People

2 Likes

My vote is for “Cleveland Knickerbockers”, mainly just to piss off New York for using the name “Yankees”, when everyone knows real yankees come from New England.

6 Likes

I think they’ll probably go with Sliders, to match their existing mascot.

1 Like

I got a mascot for the team. But what name to use. Hmmm…

4 Likes

Sorry, “The Browns“ has already been claimed by their football team!

17 Likes

I’ve heard that Florida State’s usage of “Seminoles” is used with the approval and oversight of Seminole nation representatives, and the history of the Seminoles is a part of going to school there. So there may be others.

That said, it’d be really cool to see the Atlanta MLB team and Kansas City NFL team follow Cleveland here.

8 Likes

In an alternate reality, the owners of the Cleveland MLB team consults with indigenous tribes of the Midwest in order to reach consensus on a name/mascot/branding that celebrates and honors those tribes in an effort to make up for decades of disparagement.

2 Likes

Oh please no. I’m partially to the Guardians and it has a lot of the best existing fan art. I was in the Spiders camp, but it is so hated by a lot of baseball fans in the area due to their record setting terrible performance and a lot of people being distinctly anti-spider.

3 Likes

The Chicago NHL team could have had the coolest logo in the league, by a First Nations artist, and turned it down.

22 Likes