Cleveland Indians renamed Guardians

Originally published at: Cleveland Indians renamed Guardians | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Reboing

8 Likes

I’m not from Cleveland but those statues are some actual bad ass impressive cool public art so in that regards the name works.

24 Likes

Wow, twice name change, that’s a hell’a good day in Cleveland, Oh.

1 Like

I just don’t get why they were the Rocks. You already got a song. Big boulder with baseball stitching as your mascot. The Cleveland Rocks!

9 Likes

Or at least, “Cleveland Rockers” for the RRHOF…?

2 Likes

Yasss. But delete the article. Like that band, “Talking Heads.”

4 Likes

Guardians is fine, if a bit defensive. But I like the idea.

Now, the Cleveland Argonath, that’d be a bad-ass team.

9 Likes

One step closer to Atom and His Package’s “If You Own the Washington Redskins, You’re a Cock” being made irrelevant.

Technically the stone statues are Cleveland rocks.

5 Likes

Could’ve been better, sure, but it would’ve been so easy to double down on the status quo and they deliberately didn’t do that, so I will still give the action a thumbs-up.

2 Likes

Cleveland Reboingers.

3 Likes

Jello and Mojo have a great set of contemporary meaningful team names at the tail end of this song.

2 Likes

No, because the HOF sucks, and Cleveland knows it. Rock and roll is about rebellion, sex, creativity, staying up all night, getting drunk, and sticking it to your parents. the rock and roll hall of fame is about costumes and guitars hanging on the wall.

3 Likes

Not just a Reboing, but - setting aside two BB store posts - it was the last previous blog post before this one! FFS, don’t any of the contributors ever check the blog before shoving stuff up?

2 Likes

You must be new around here. Enjoy the ride.

2 Likes

I’ll make the point I’ve made a bunch of other places. The Guardians name has a bunch of ties to Cleveland’s history and icons. The architect on the bridge was Frank Walker of the firm Walker and Weeks. That firm designed the old Muni Stadium, our fabulous library main branch, and the Public Auditorium. The sculptor of the pylons, Henry Hering did the sculpture at the Fed, the iconic front of Severance Hall, and the Peace Monument at the Cultural Gardens. The engineer on the bridge, Wilbur Walker oversaw one of the more famous dark moments in Cleveland bridge history, the Sidaway bridge. The pylons were saved by the city’s united action. There are few names as tied to the glorious things of the city.

5 Likes

The traveler gave them the light? Baseball is about to get a lot more interesting!

(good for them though, they’re doing the right thing imho and it sounds just fine)

1 Like

Are you kidding me?

I was here long before my current ID indicates (why I created a new one is a whole other story) and that tells you I’ve been here for the last nearly 5 years, AND how much I’ve read here.

So, yes, I know what goes on, and I know it’s not gonna change, and I know nobody bothers to check if they are duplicating posts, but none of that is a reason to not comment on it.

1 Like

I agree. Though that old Spiders logo is pretty cool.
Just checked to see if Ebbets Flannels has a hat with that old logo, but they don’t…

“Streamline Moderne” and “Art Deco”. There are many such embellishments in L.A.