Washington Redskins to change name

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/13/report-washington-redskins-to.html

12 Likes

Well, they could shorten it to Washington Skins and play sans jerseys.

29 Likes

But then they can only ever play against the New Jersey Shirts.

37 Likes

Did they not cover this on Kimmy Schmidt?

11 Likes

Redtails would be fitting, which is why you can be pretty certain that Dan Snyder would never go for it.

23 Likes

“Its owners long declared […]”
Tbf, it’s majority owner has long said that. I believe the two minority owners had not spoken of their views before and had announced their intentions to fully divest a few weeks (months? time is wacky now) ago.

3 Likes

They could change to New York Knights.
Limit the match to 80 minutes and continue to forward passing sometimes (but I think it’s a confusing rule, never got when is valid)

Great news, even if it did take a ridiculously long time to happen.

17 Likes

Happy it’s finally happening! Washington Swamp Rats?

Disappointed that they are going to keep the color combo. Ugggh.

8 Likes

Washington Congress Critters!

Actually, I really like the Washington Redtails…

18 Likes

They missed a chance.

16 Likes

I think the most hilarious one I’ve heard so far is Washington Starship. :rofl:

24 Likes

Washington Rednecks.

And if you think that’s racist, it’s actually a lot less racist than their previous name.

7 Likes

I am confused by the term ‘nickname’ in all of this. Does that mean they will be keeping the name Redskins and just asking people to call it something else? Or does this mean they have some official name like a show dog? “Washington Red Dye 40 Epidermis In the Name of Racism “

5 Likes

I personally like the Washington Leakers.

14 Likes

As usual, the Onion is years ahead of this story:

38 Likes

The K Street Lobbyists would be a good one

13 Likes

Regardless what they eventually do in DC, nobody has to reprint this name. Headlines that, in one breath, decry it as racist and then print the racist term is baffling. Call them the Washington NFL Team (as many, many publications have been doing for years). I wouldn’t even say this name aloud.

Also, I agree. Redtails is such a great choice. I just hope that they have actual discussion with surviving airmen and black community leaders before proceeding. I can’t say I have any hope of Snyder or the NFL doing the right thing. Kaepernick could be the community liaison. First step on his path to commissioner (I’m just going to keep saying that until it’s true).

21 Likes

Washington Gun Takers, obviously
Washington_Gun_Takers

9 Likes

The Onion also had a less politically correct (and very offensive) version of this:

14 Likes