Cheugy: out of touch, trying too hard, but not quite uncool

Seems sorta fetch to me… :wink:

13 Likes

So schway

4 Likes

My largest beef with this gif is that he was too old for that shit when he was a couple of years younger than I am currently.

It was funny when Riggs was a lot older than me. Not so much now.

7 Likes

I thought “cheugy” was pronounced like “shoegaze”; but then, I am, very old.

5 Likes

Soon we’ll be living in a post-cheuguean world, and a few months after that, a neo-cheuguean world. Economic cheugueanism, social cheugueanism. What is the proper way to decode a post-neo-cheuguean social text? Only the post-structuralists know, and they’re not saying.

16 Likes

i’m confused… what does this mean for the $300 worth of dog food i just ordered from cheugy.com?

4 Likes

I think we are experiencing the death throes of late-stage cheugyism, right now.

10 Likes

15 Likes

It means your dog’s dinner just went mainstream.

8 Likes

Here’s his phaser. “Set to ionize!”

6 Likes

Since the doggo doesn’t know it, the boi’s still decidedly cool.

5 Likes

The Iron Law of neologisms is that by the time you care how to use some new word in a sentence, it already isn’t cool.

I knew from a young age that being a cool kid was a game I could never win at, so my thing was always to collect as much vocabulary as possible, so I’ll have words no one else is rocking. Like “vexatious” or “cretin” or “splendid” – high-quality words that people know, but don’t think to use.

5 Likes

My strategy is to use these types of words as soon as I can with my teenage kids, ideally with their friends in earshot.

It just speeds up the process for when people start using the word ironically

2 Likes

¿Que? While I recognise the words, the meaning of that statement completely evades me.

2 Likes

Fuck me, a Zerostat! I think I might have one in a drawer somewhere, forgotten since 1982!

1 Like

I’M not a Chew-gie, YOU’RE a Chew-gie!

1 Like

I predict that once I close this browser tab I will never see or hear that combination of letters ever again.

The neologisms that catch on are the ones where I know what they mean before I realize they’re new, not the ones where I first hear of them from a website with a rather elderly internet demographic* explaining that this is the new thing.

* Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

5 Likes

tumblr_inline_mlpa88sCVu1qz4rgp540

1 Like

Cringe Hangover GIF

7 Likes

I still have mine… but — although I’m sure to have used it much, much less than the product life 50K (or so) times as advertised by the maker — it no longer **works. I can’t see its crystal being damaged after so short a use. Perhaps the small copper (?) spike at its business end is corroded enough to gum up delivery of the + and - ions?

**Here’s how to check out your vintage Zerostat: Place a small piece of thin foam or plastic wrap on the palm of your hand; rub it on some fabric to build up a nice static charge; turn your palm face down (foam/plastic should stay stuck on); aim your Zerostat at your palm from about a foot away (closer if you like); and SLOWLY pull and release the trigger. The your stuck on thingy should immediately drop off. Try from different distances if necessary. If the thingy doesn’t drop, the Zerostat is kaput. I still have a few dozen vinyls and, so, purchased a new Zerostat… now blue and made by an outfit called Minty. Same device. Much more expensive, though. Works like a champ!

1 Like