@chgoliz says goodbye

Now that I recall, I never did get an answer to whether or not they confronted the Space Camp administration about the latter’s sexist dress code. I wonder how that went.

Just wanted to thank you for your “likes” and the interventions where you helped me to see another point of view.

16 Likes

You’ve been a solid anchor here, and now this place will feel even more adrift.

I has a sad.

36 Likes

Goodbye, @chgoliz. May you find a site deserving of your investment of time and thought

22 Likes

Ah, too bad my dear cousin. I guess that I’ll have to wait to see you again in the after life…

25 Likes

Thanks Obama!

22 Likes

I left for a while. My productivity soared.

The tension between too much and too little moderation is a tough problem in any public venue, especially one which shows up early in search engines, but the balance seems worse now than before the pedantic troubles.

18 Likes

Fuck fuck fuck. :frowning:

23 Likes

Farewell, @chgoliz. Perhaps we’ll meet again elsewhere.

31 Likes

31 Likes

What I’ve recommended for a long time (and what Discourse is designed to nudge everyone toward) is for the community to appoint its own moderators who work alongside the BB editors to maintain the community, and have Lounge discussions to determine what the right decisions are and what the policies should be. A form of enlightened self governance.

That said, the BB editors always reserve the right to moderate their topics as they see fit, and this facility is on their property, so it’s ultimately their call.

18 Likes

18 Likes

:worried:

10 Likes

It’s such a strange dichotomy here. On the one side you have Boing Boing “the site” with its whimsical, open source, socio-anarcho, “question authority” vibe. Then you have Boing Boing “the community” of mostly like-minded folks - oddly that’s run like an authoritarian autocracy, where the Fun Police will crack down on the slightest transgression and dissenters are cruelly banished.

25 Likes

There is a certain amount of emotional labor involved in community, so someone has to be willing to do that.

First we’ll reframe the problem: the real issue is not Problem Child’s opinions – he can have whatever opinions he wants. The issue is that he’s doing zero emotional labor – he’s not thinking about his audience or his effect on people at all. (Possibly, he’s just really bad at modeling other people’s responses – the outcome is the same whether he lacks the will or lacks the skill.) But to be a good community member, he needs to consider his audience.

This is very real work and although we try to make the software do as much as we can, there is no replacement for a human touch from time to time. But it is of course easier if you share that load with the community… this takes mutual respect and trust.

10 Likes

I think the fortunate / or unfortunate thing, depending on how you view it, is a lot of the community grew up with the same attitudes, and the management wasn’t so bent on “maintaining control” in the beginning.

…and I’m off topic.

We’ll miss you liz.

18 Likes

I moved this post here in respect to @chgoliz so folks could say goodbye. Let’s please not derail it.

13 Likes

Perhaps I was confused by all of the post shuffling.

6 Likes

It’s been… quite a day.

11 Likes

Truly sorry to hear this. I can’t add much to what others have said (lots of Liking in this thread), and hope you’ll find an opportunity in the future to return and continue adding your valuable insights and opinions. Hope to see you Elsewhere.

19 Likes