Chicago's 'Aloha Poke Co' wants Hawaiians to stop using the words 'aloha' and 'poke'

Must be nice to afford such things. For the people that know they can’t afford to litigate you think they’re audacious enough to gamble their livelihood? That’s the point of the article, the people that were small time knew they couldn’t afford to fight it despite knowing this was a bunch of BS.

6 Likes

This is why you stop two white girls who stole a recipe from a tourist destination from Mexico from opening a taco truck using those tortillas, because some dickhead from a wealthy suburb with connections in Northwestern will turn small-time appropriation into a 7-figure income.

2 Likes

You can always climb down before spending anything. I’m just advocating for calling their bluff and forcing them to spend more to make you acquiesce. Also, if they are not confident of their position, there is the possibility that they will back down. If you don’t try, you’ll never know.

1 Like

Now I know where not to get my Poke when I’m in the US. Cheers Aloha Poke Co.!

(Aside: There must be a restaurant called Poke-man or something like that by now…).

I sure hope so

Edit: There is, looks like its a food truck?

1 Like

Unfortunately, the fact that it’s ridiculous and probably wouldn’t hold up in court doesn’t matter. All the other restaurants are likely to decide that it’s easier to change their name than fight a legal battle over it.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why trademark/copyright/patent trolling works - even when you’re sure you’re in the right, if what they’re demanding is cheaper than having to pay a lawyer to prove that, well…

2 Likes

There’s one in Vancouver:

Although the Kakigori is what makes the place stand out, IMHO (poke is way more common than kakigori in Vancouver).

As of 2014 he drove a MK3 GTI. Fucking Zach fucking Friedlander. I’ve had the “pleasure” of knowing him and he’s the biggest fucking tool you could imagine. This whole thing doesn’t surprise me in the least.

2 Likes

Zack Fucking Friedlander. I know this dude and he’s as awful as you think.

That could go either way with this car. Especially if it’s all modded out and stuff.
GTI’s are one of the greatest small cars ever made - we had a MK5 GTI (was my wife’s daily) for 100K miles. Loved that thing. When she got a new car, I daily drove it for a year.
But a lot of nozzles drive them, too.

nailed it.

1 Like

I’d like to introduce you to our counsel for the defense:
This is not the face of a man who takes BS.

3 Likes

Not the same peoples and totally off topic but these pics remind me of an excellent LindyBeige video i saw just last night where he talks about England trying to crush a Maori uprising in New Zealand and how the British troops got their asses handed to them despite outnumbering them 5 to 1 and having heavy mortars, cannons, and having an additional platoon flanking the Maori.

Don’t mind me being a nerd :smiley:

3 Likes

Someone in Hawaii should open a place called Deep Dish and send cease-and-desists to every pizzeria in the Windy City.

1 Like

I bet this guy has a Mahalo Rewards Card

2 Likes

Hello Kitty unavailable for comment

No, they want to stop use of “aloha poke”, not “poke”. Christ.

How about a nice Hawaiian punch?

4 Likes

we should probably elect people who give two shits about fair business practices.

1 Like