King's Hawaiian sued because rolls aren't actually made in Hawaii

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/06/kings-hawaiian-sued-because-rolls-arent-actually-made-in-hawaii.html

3 Likes

Would this also apply to French toast, English muffins, New York bagels, Chicago pizza, Arizona iced tea, … ?

29 Likes

This is why we can’t have nice things.

12 Likes

I hadn’t given it much thought but would have thought they were made in Hawaii… It is a bit deceptive…

5 Likes

And all those things that have California slapped on the name?

5 Likes

I initially was going to point out that things like Buffalo chicken wings aren’t necessarily made in Buffalo. But then I read the article and saw that they put the town name of Hilo, Hawaii prominently on the label which is rather misleading.

9 Likes

Ha. Next you’ll tell me they aren’t baked by a King.

33 Likes

I never assumed they were made in Hawaii. I assumed they might be a Hawaiian style. I do like these rolls and have some in my fridge right now.

I also assumed it might just be marketing.

If they were made in Hawaii, you know how expensive they would be? You would have to air ship them to remain fresh.

13 Likes

There’s a few of these things that actually work though like “Champaign” or “Hatch Green Chile”. How are we supposed to be able to tell which regions are actually protected and trademarked somehow such that when they say the region on the label they are legally required to be from that region?

Christ, what an asshole.

1 Like

I was shocked to my New York strip steak was butchered in Nebraska and my Philadelphia Cream Cheese was made in New York! What is this world coming too? This guy should get a life.

11 Likes

Nope. Oh, it would help but actually the rolls were originally made in Hawaii for the ocean trade – the (huge) amount of milk in the recipe works as a preservative as well as being tasty. It was necessary to package them well for other reasons but they do keep better than ordinary breads.

4 Likes

Does this mean they are really just sparkling sweet bread rolls?

20 Likes

I dunno… in my experience they mold fairly fast. I thought it may be to due to high sugar content. That is why I keep them in my fridge (along with my regular bread).

Still, I suppose you could ship them via boat, but that too is an added expense, compared to shipping them out of CA.

3 Likes

In other news, Kona Brewing produces almost all its beer in Oregon, Washington, and New Hampshire.
I call bullshit on these lyin’ Hawaiians! /s

1 Like

But they are made from actual Buffalos, right?

Just like Girl Scout Cookies.

10 Likes

Wait till this guy finds out about Hawaiian pizza… :thinking:

5 Likes

Looking at the label on the original BB post, I read through the whole thing and the message I get in my mind is that it was established in 1930 (or whatever it say, can’t see it clearly) in Hilo. Doesn’t say made in Hilo.

3 Likes

Texas toast, French bread, Belgian waffles, …

5 Likes

Kentucky Fried Chicken!

5 Likes