Chicago cops under investigation after shooting man in train station

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/02/chigaco-cops-under-investigati.html

7 Likes

Y77PwIW

11 Likes

@beschizza comments link on the article is broken. Again.

And this the same week as we get…SWAT teams on the El.

8 Likes

Well obviously they had to do SOMETHING, otherwise he might have gotten himself hurt! :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

What I’m trying to figure out here is what the police should do when the taser doesn’t work and they still can’t handcuff him. Shooting him was obviously out of line as he wasn’t posing a threat to anyone but… do they just let him go? Maybe they should start carrying tranq darts too.

This is going to be so much anti-BLM / reverse-racism fodder. Black cop wrongly shoots a white guy? White supremacist’s wet dream.

1 Like

Moving between train cars is not a capital offense, nor is resisting arrest, nor is running away from police. Making cops run up stairs, however…

29 Likes

they got him in the buttocks and the stomach

Which is probably the part of their defense that will let them go Scot free.

As intended, my client’s expert marksmanship merely disabled the criminal, your honor, thereby saving the citizens of Gotham from the deadly danger posed by this dastardly traincar-switcher.

7 Likes

The timing of that first shot was pretty bad. He was merely stepping forward and rubbing his eyes. If the review board sees this as running, they need to get their eyes checked.

13 Likes

The guy was stumbling around trying to clear his eyes, he wasn’t going to sprint away. You call for backup, and you follow the guy best you can until other officers catch up with you. It’s humiliating, but you don’t have to shoot anyone.

I understand you’re joking, but holy shit–when you and your idiot partner think deadly force is necessary and you shoot someone in the stomach from five feet away and then their ass, you done fucked up as an officer.

But, you’ll all be glad to know that the moving between cars citation has been dismissed. So…no harm no foul?

Let’s all remember, too, that if this hadn’t been filmed, the cops’ story would be that the victim went for their gun and was trying to kill them, the police union would have a spokesman there praising the officers for saving bystanders, the victim would be facing an attempted murder charge, and that would be the story.

21 Likes

If history is any guide, this will become one of those exceedingly rare instances where the police are held accountable, in glaring contrast to ever other time…

7 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but these two don’t seem to be very good police officers.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the SWAT team did not intervene in this shooting, though.

1 Like

Chigaco? Is that in Inillois?

10 Likes

Sometimes, that is the least bad option. Just let him go and what happens? Nobody is hurt. Nobody is going to get hurt.

15 Likes

That is spelled humane not humilitating.

7 Likes

Ah, well naturally force must be used to subdue such a violent criminal

/s

4 Likes

You just call for backup and wait/follow him. He didn’t even start running until they fucking shot him.

5 Likes

Why would getting shot cause someone to try to run away? It’s a mystery.

Meanwhile, this is a very common occurrence: the latest high speed chase from some suburb into the city (maybe 10-15 miles or more) to catch several people who MIGHT have committed a robbery. The amount of damage to property and injury/death to other humans is seldom included in the media stories:

7 Likes

This. For a nonviolent crime, just let them go. You tried. You failed. Do better next time. Shooting a nonviolent, fleeing person means that ego is in control of the situation, not sense.

16 Likes