Chilling recording reveals Saturn's haunting sound that will send shivers down your spine

Originally published at: Chilling recording reveals Saturn's haunting sound that will send shivers down your spine | Boing Boing

1 Like

Congratulations, you discovered white noise

1 Like
3 Likes

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn”

6 Likes

Now I’m going to have to watch Forbidden Planet again.

9 Likes

Hell, that doesn’t sound scary. It’s the sound of United Planets Cruiser C-57D!

6 Likes

Weird - it said video has no sound for me… but I think I’ve heard it before and it doesn’t really sound like anything.

3 Likes

puts on plasma physics hat

Ah, but it isn’t white noise, since you can hear the dominant pitch change over time. The downstream source of the waves is probably very close to being white noise, but because different frequencies travel at different rates in the plasma trapped in the magnetic field, they arrive at the sensor at different times, which produces an uptick or downtick in the pitch over time.

bully removes plasma physics hat and throws it into toilet

7 Likes

Saturn’s dinner music?

Saturn Devouring His Son (Goya)

11 Likes

Ironiy of Ironies. They do give a credit, though not a clickable one, which is nice. I guess.

11 Likes

This is BB. Goes w/o saying. :blush:

3 Likes

I stopped listening to Monolith since they went electronic. :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Interesting sci-fi movie poster for 1956. What’s “amazing” is the image of a robot (not immediately identified as being one of the good guys) carrying some unconscious dude instead of a gal. Typically – even when it never appears in a film – some sci-fi/horror films of the time showed a woman being carried by some monstrous character. Prone dude instead of a gal. 1956. Forbidden Planet. This poster is wide open for some delicious sport!

5 Likes

Find interviews with the B Filmmakers back then. Very often, they were handed poster art and had to come up with a script on their own.

4 Likes

Cool story… though the sort-of, all’s-well-that-ends-well ending made me think Beatrix Potter wrote a H P Lovecraft story.

1 Like

Gender balance with victims in Science Fiction? Woke-ism! Woke-ism even in the 50s!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Pretty sure Saturn sounds like this.

6 Likes

I haven’t actually read Clark Ashton Smith in a bit but never thought I’d hear him compared to Beatrix Potter.

1 Like

I will share this pic on the flimsiest of pretexts. This was taken by the Cassini space probe, from behind Saturn and looking back at the sun.

5 Likes