China detects new zoonotic virus, 35 people reportedly infected

Originally published at: China detects new zoonotic virus, 35 people reportedly infected | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Here we go again…

I will say that irritability is on-brand for a shrew-born virus. Kiss me Kate!

31 Likes
15 Likes

Symptoms include “fever, irritability, cough, anorexia, myalgia, nausea, headache, and vomiting.”

Anorexia?

“Anorexia nervosa, often referred to simply as anorexia, is an eating disorder characterized by low weight, food restriction, body image disturbance, fear of gaining weight, and an overpowering desire to be thin.”
From Wikipedia

This is a virus that gives suffers a form of body dysmorphia? That seems weirdly specific.

11 Likes

Angry Jon Bernthal GIF by NETFLIX

Angry Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

Angry Star Trek GIF

24 Likes

32 Likes

Well, at least it has the decency to not be a Coronavirus and prompt more confusion and misinformation. Although…

Goddamnit. This wasn’t even listed as a COVID symptom, yet the entire world got crabby af for the past two years. Shit.

31 Likes

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic, but anorexia in a medical sense refers to a loss of appetite.

If you are being sarcastic, apologies for -splaining!

22 Likes

Thank you. I guess the “nervosa” part refers to the mental side of the condition.

11 Likes

From American Heritage DIctionary:

an·o·rex·i·a
n.

1. Loss of appetite, especially as a result of disease.

2. Anorexia nervosa.

Edit: oops, @gremlin replied already while I was typing.

7 Likes

GIF by Kim's Convenience

Fastest fingers in the west!

14 Likes

ted-lasso-roy-kent

15 Likes

This has always been good advice.

17 Likes

Amy Poehler Reaction GIF

Tina Fey Swipe Left GIF

15 Likes

season 2 landing at point rain GIF by Star Wars

8 Likes

200-6

Dangerous times indeed.

15 Likes

I’m trying hard to think to myself ‘this could happen anywhere’. And trying not to paint a specific culture or class of people as a whole as being the problem, but …

Why is it nearly always China?

So, here we go again, for sure. How long has this been around? Has China been keeping the bad news to itself? Is there more bad news it hasn’t admitted yet?

Everything I’ve been reading for the last… 20 years? has been suggesting that we should not only be expecting new zoonotic viruses to be hitting us, but with increasing regularity as climate change and development decreases habitat and forces more wild animals and their viruses into contact with human hosts. COVID was only the start. Luckily we can take all the lessons learned from COVID, and the infrastructure we built to deal with it, and apply them to… oh, yeah, right.

23 Likes

Large and dense population which is gradually encroaching on once wild areas? /speculation

16 Likes

man, i had all of that when my gall bladder ruptured. got that fixed. now, not so much.
irritability i got plenty still.

9 Likes