China to require fingerprints of all foreign visitors as new security step

Yes, they do! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It has occurred to me that if all the world’s nations requested our fingerpaints at their borders how much better we would be as humans.

8 Likes

Well just double check they don’t give you someone else’s. All sorts of mayhem might happen! :wink:

One side china support pakistani terrorist and on the other hand it is increasing security of its own, double standard country

Actually, the USA have required fingerprints of all foreign visitors for years. Either you have them in your electronic passport or they will take them for issuing a visa. I requested a visa some years ago (did not have an electronic passport then) and got scanned at the local consulate. The next year, electronic passports became avalaible for my country and get the scan again, from my country, for my passport.

2 Likes

Welcome to boingboing, comrade! Do you have a link to back up your assertion that China supports Pakistani terrorists?

1 Like

:wink: Very funny- I like it.

(But you may get into trouble round here for the gender stereotyping - hopefully others will take it in the spirit it was intended.)

so visitors aren’t welcome?

1 Like

For a short time after this was happening last year (when the people stealing laptops were still at it), unaccompanied guests were not allowed in (there were exceptions for groups coming in for a meeting with librarians or archivists, etc). They can come in again, with a guest pass at the security desk and leaving an ID with them while there (which I think they did before now anyway) - I don’t know if they have to undergo extra scrutiny now or not.

I used to use my alma mater’s library for years after I graduated. I stopped when they closed down the network to visitors-- and I switched to using the Library of Congress. Technically I could get an alumni library card, but the network would still be off limits.

2 Likes

Yeah… I’m not a fan of a policy that blocks the public from using something that they help to fund through their tax dollars, as my school is.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.