Chinese Spy Balloon Hovering Over U.S., Defense Officials Say

The American government has identified a suspected Chinese spy balloon hovering over the country, officials said Thursday. The balloon snuck into the U.S. through Canada and was first spotted in Montana. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, who was in the Philippines when news of the device broke, called a meeting Wednesday with senior military and defense leaders, who decided not to shoot down the balloon. Pentagon officials reportedly presented Biden with an option to shoot the balloon down, however, they advised against it over fears that civilians may be injured or even killed by falling debris. China has flown balloons like this before, but this instance has lasted longer than typical, a defense official told NBC News. “We are taking all necessary steps to protect against foreign intelligence collection of sensitive information,” an official said.

8 Likes

Only one?

2 Likes

Just how big was it that debris would hit someone in Montana?

6 Likes

Apparently big enough that it’s flying at weather balloon altitudes, but can still be spotted by eye by commercial pilots. If they can see it without telescope at that distance, it’s big.

5 Likes

Suspected "Chinese spy balloon" was spotted over Montana yesterday — and is still flying over the U.S. | Boing Boing

3 Likes

If it was lower, I wonder if some hobbyist might send a drone up to give it a poke?

4 Likes

Or maybe unfurl a Winnie the Pooh banner in front of its cameras

5 Likes

Outstanding illustration, although, come to think of it, shouldn’t he be masquerading as a little black rain cloud?

2 Likes

If info is being transmitted, perhaps it could be jammed?

2 Likes

I was thinking more the hobbyist bit. Jammers aren’t overly legal. Pictures of Winnie the Pooh are.

2 Likes

Should we moon them?

5 Likes

This time of year in Montana, I think that would do more harm to us than them.

4 Likes

I was actually thinking of what our military could do. Something that wouldn’t endanger the public.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.