Suspected "Chinese spy balloon" was spotted over Montana yesterday — and is still flying over the U.S

Originally published at: Suspected "Chinese spy balloon" was spotted over Montana yesterday — and is still flying over the U.S. | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Send in the balloon hit squad.

25 Likes

I’m not saying it’s aliens, but “It’s just a balloon” is a pretty common refrain when people see something in the sky that’s not supposed to be there. /s

13 Likes

Should be easily taken down with the Rothschild’s space lasers or is empty greene whine about that option?

13 Likes

Oh no, the secrets of Montana…spied upon

23 Likes

There are quite a few missile silos in that area…allegedly.

17 Likes

So shoot it down over the missile silos. They’re underground and reinforced anyway.

10 Likes

These guys?
Maybe those “astro chimps” were training for THIS all along

4 Likes

They’re worried about a BALLOON landing on PEOPLE in MONTANA?

In a related story, it turns out that there are some people in Montana. And they are so tightly packed that a falling balloon could injure both of them.

41 Likes

I’m trying to think of a reason that balloon base anything would be superior to spaced, inconspicuous airplane based or ground based.

5 Likes

It could simply be a matter of cost. All that other stuff is pretty damn expensive, especially in this economy.

4 Likes

A balloon launched with a cheap but good camera rig and floated over Montana, where it can then uplink even higher quality photos to satellites? This thing was only spotted by a pilot who reported it, it’s likely been doing things for days to weeks. And we don’t know how many others that have gone up that just never got spotted.

It’s probably very cheap, very undetectable, and when it crashes to earth likely destroys all its evidence.

12 Likes

That’s a good point, perhaps I’m thinking this balloon would be much more radar detectable than it actually is

5 Likes

yes, but those two people are also senators.

27 Likes

One Montana voter is worth 35 California voters, so they are super precious!!

33 Likes

You may be off by a couple or few orders of magnitude on that calculation.

10 Likes

Aren’t satellites able to get them the information?

ATeam lawn chair balloons

6 Likes

That is so 1950ies…

Spy balloons were a thing then. But as balloons are not very good at this they were replaced as soon as possible with planes that could fly really high (that are still used today), really fast, and the first spy satellites.

10 Likes

Send in the US Balloon Animal Corps!

8 Likes

I can’t help thinking it’s more likely to be a Montanan YouTuber sending X into space…

11 Likes