Chinese students, made to study Communism, are rising up for workers' rights

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/01/with-chinese-characteristics.html

7 Likes

d340db8be957631cbb238fb4e4e10155

7 Likes

One way or another, all authoritarian movements eventually eat their young. At least this one has an amusing ironic element.

15 Likes

Nicaragua outlaws its citizens' right to protest

They were never supposed to believe that stuff!

14 Likes

Huh? Are there words missing from the section in bold? I don’t get it.

1 Like

“A spectre is haunting Communist China …”

9 Likes

The students were singing The Internationale in Tiananmen Square back in 1989 too

15 Likes

Paywalled but relevant: Peking University threatens to close down Marxism society

https://www.ft.com/content/ccab09aa-bdc2-11e8-8274-55b72926558f

(Tried tracking down full text through my institution, but no luck. Though I personally did read the article through the 1-article a month thing they do to draw you in or whatever.)

10 Likes

They were never supposed to believe that stuff!

It’s almost like kids in the US in the 50s being brought up on a diet of anti-communist ‘land of the free’ propaganda then actually believing it and supporting civil rights :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Try this. It’s still baffling but the grammar checks out.

2 Likes

I liked reading Financial Times. They have (or had) them for free at the UT Business School. I found it amusing that some people thought it was some kind of faggy rag because it was pink(ish). Had great joy in seeing their faces when I informed them that, no, it is a business journal. Also wish I could read the article.

2 Likes

Yeah. The US media (and presumably other medias as well) portrayed the protesters as anti-communist, but this was an over simplification.

13 Likes

It’s been changed to this, “and a movement away from western media influences.”

1 Like

Which is why North Korea under the first Kim quickly moved away from Marxism or even calling themselves a “Communist” country. It’s all about “juche,” meaning “self-reliance,” but also just means “the collective,” or “the governing body.” A blank slate to attach all convenient intentions.

9 Likes

That’s because carnivorous, human-like monsters are never satisfied with the victims at hand, and always want more.

2 Likes

ISTR a student leader talking about how forcing the state to repress them was a step towards a more general revolution and the workers joining them. The definitely saw their struggle in terms of the communist dialectic that they had learned in school.

6 Likes

“Chinese students, made to study Communism, are rising up for workers’ rights”

LOL owned

0 Likes

Unfortunately a few too many forgot the “land of the free” bit, and are now spending their sunset years voting for rapey douchebags and screaming at Fox News.

2 Likes

Agreed in spirit, though I’d argue there was a sincere belief that communism is incompatible with democracy (which of course is not true ::cough cough:: rojava cough cough)

But enough of that. I stand with the students! Let’s bring it on!

7 Likes

I’ve read, in Jianying Zha’s China Pop IIRC, that Chinese as of the mid-90s thought of the student leaders of Tiananmen as fanatics that they are better off without. Understandably, most Chinese are not keen on any kind of revolution.

1 Like