Chow Yun-fat lives so modestly, he can give away $700M+ when he passes away

Just the running costs of the building I own a flat in, cost me $150/m…

3 Likes

Seems to me he’s depriving himself. He could give some of that fortune away now and enjoy the results of his generosity.

3 Likes

Case in point… our fearless leader, trump. "My daddy only gave me a $1 million loan. Right… another lie from the man who was given everything and lost it many times over, just to be bailed out time and again by actual, savvy businessmen who ate him for lunch.

He probably should, lest he run afoul of Xi Jinping.

2 Likes

Roger that!

chow-yun-fat-thumbs-up

20 Likes

Sounds like he’s got a really fine focus on a better tomorrow.

10 Likes

All of the really rich people I ever knew about that live on the peak or NTs have super fancy cars with drivers.

3 Likes

I wish I had the money to “frequent street carts.”

Seriously though, good on him.

1 Like

I have a green wool long coat that is so nice and warm that was a yard sale find… 50 cents I paid for it and I have had it for 20+ years now.

ETA and even at $15 to $20 it is a steal when you find a good aloha shirt compared to new.

8 Likes

Chewing Yon Fat?

4 Likes

Hmmmm… wouldn’t have thought that HK public transport would let one on without pants…

16 Likes

I find it very encouraging, given our current social and economic climate, that not every crazy-rich soul in the world is a self-serving lunatic.

Sorry, while, I find this uplifting, I dont find this encouraging (or discouraging). Yun-fat (like Buffett) is an outlier. He changed money; money didn’t change him. The vast, vast majority of people to whom wealth happens cannot make the same claim.

4 Likes

Perhaps that’s why the nobility of his character Li Mu Bai in “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” feels so authentic and not corny or preachy.

5 Likes

I for one am willing to try it out and see if money would change me.

5 Likes

I’d love to see how his carbon footprint changes when he dies. I suppose the investment strategies of his bank would have a lot to do with that.

But how is not spending money unethical? For a private citizen, I mean?

1 Like

MLK on charity:

“On the one hand we are called to play the good Samaritan on life’s roadside; but that will be only an initial act. One day we must come to see that the whole Jericho road must be transformed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed as they make their journey on life’s highway. True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it is not haphazard and superficial. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring.

“A Time to Break Silence,” at Riverside Church”

11 Likes

Living on the Peak is very ostentatious; if you can afford that you can easily afford a driver and a car.

The point here is that Chow Yun-Fat is not ostentatious, but he DOES seem to pick and choose reasonably-priced (but good) things in life.

5 Likes

While not unethical, living frugally in Hong Kong is pretty uncommon.

1 Like

5vOjb

I wish I’d kept more of my finds. Thrift stores are still gold mines, but holy heck were there some treasures for the hunters of old.

5 Likes

What an awesome guy.
Always been a fan, but this so cool.

7 Likes