Christian couple vow to divorce if same-sex marriage is legalized

Yeah, two words sum up these people: illogical fuckwits.

It hasn’t been mentioned here (or in the original article, as far as I can tell) but one of them apparently works for the Australian Christian Lobby group… no doubt you can tell what it stands for just by the name.

And elsewhere it’s been mentioned - mainly on Twitter that I’ve seen - that under Australian law they couldn’t actually get divorced because they’d have to lie about being legally separated before a divorce could be granted. It’s my fuzzy understanding of divorce law here that the couple has to live apart for at least 12 months before formal divorce proceedings can begin.

4 Likes

Why dont they renounce their religion as well?

Why do people give idiots like these a seconds thought? There is no shortage of fuckwits in the world and I see no reason to highlight these.

And elsewhere it’s been mentioned - mainly on Twitter that I’ve seen - that under Australian law they couldn’t actually get divorced because they’d have to lie about being legally separated before a divorce could be granted. It’s my fuzzy understanding of divorce law here that the couple has to live apart for at least 12 months before formal divorce proceedings can begin.

Wouldn’t getting separated for 12 months then a divorce still be considered “getting a divorce because of gays”? They didn’t say “they day gays can marry we’re going to be divorced.”

3 Likes

I predict that if they carry through on this, they will soon discover the reasons why civil marriage rights are so important. I don’t know too much about the Australian system, but in the US not being legally married costs hundreds of thousands of dollars over a couple’s lifespan. Should be interesting the first time one of them has to go to the hospital. But maybe they are counting on heterosexual privilege and no one checking for valid, current marriage paperwork.

3 Likes

Which just makes this even weirder. They’re proposing to each become single parents should the day come in Oz that same-sex couples are legally allowed to marry.

3 Likes

Is this a threat or a promise? Seriously. Can’t tell.

4 Likes

ONE FALSE MOVE, AND THE MUMMY GETS IT!

1 Like

now that they can marry the people they really want to, why not?

The funny thing is…they call themselves “Christian” but their man/god has issued direct orders that married couples may only divorce over adultery. and if they do divorce they may never remarry (Funny how many loudmouthed Christians are on their second or third marriage just like the legions of the damned (non-christians) who do “evils” like this to deliberately hurt “Jesus” (according to the more interesting whack jobs).

Not even subject to “interpretation” or “context”. So if they do this thing, it is in direct defiance of the “god” to whom they claim to subsume their wilt completely.

You could cut the hypocrisy like a slab of bacon.

1 Like

What a fabulous example of nominative determinism :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds to me like they are scapegoating same-sex couples for their own loveless, “only together for the kids’ sake” marriage. I’m sure I’m reading quite a lot between the lines, but I’m not sure how else this kind of thing would make sense (I know that making sense is an entirely different challenge, but I’m trying to find some kind of rational thought here).

1. We’re married (they seem to be thinking) because it’s a holy state and because marriage is about procreation and caring for kids.

2. If the government allows same-sex marriage, then it can’t be considered holy anymore (their logic, not mine), and also can’t be about raising the kids (leaving aside the fact that plenty of hetero couples don’t have kids and plenty of same-sex couples do).

3. So, since 2 is no longer valid, there’s no reason to be married anymore.

4. Item 3 doesn’t follow unless there’s no literally other reason to be married. Love, companionship, mutual financial and emotional support, healthy horizontal exercise, and plenty of other wonderful things therefore must be missing from their relationship.

1 Like

Mr Jensen wrote…
My wife and I…
Mr Jensen told…
…he said
…Mr Jensen said
He also feared…
…he said
…he said

One of these in each paragraph (other than the last two summative paragraphs) in the article.

I wonder what his wife thinks, or if that’s permitted?

11 Likes

Ironic, given that the originator of their religious tradition was polygamous. The Bible doesn’t have anything to say about same-sex marriage, but an awful lot of its protagonists were polygamists.

2 Likes

They’re clearly 5th columnists acting to help ensure religious opposition to gay marriage sounds ridiculous.

Because apparently the religious right weren’t doing a good enough job of being ridiculous…

3 Likes

Some threat that is, holy cow, what´re we gonna do?

5 Likes

Yes, please do. We already have enough of your genes in the ‘pool’…

I’m almost positive they’ll have something to say about them as well, just that it is at present drowned out by their strident panic over teh gayz.

Oh, there’s always someone prepared to go the extra mile…