Christmas just isn't the same without Asbestos Snow

Originally published at: Christmas just isn't the same without Asbestos Snow - Boing Boing

4 Likes

And real lead tinsel. This modern mylar stuff just doesn’t hang on the branches the same way. Playing with the lead tinsel when the tree was taken down was much more fun - it could be molded and pressed into lots of shapes by hand.

10 Likes

Tinsel foil spit ball wars with straws.

2 Likes

lametta-weihnachten

2 Likes

7 Likes

There was also that snow stuff you could buy in an aerosol can and spray on things (the tree? around windows?) and I’m not sure what it was inside. It was definitely some sort of toxic petroleum product / solvent.

I have a story involving that stuff and mooning my parents.

Maybe that’s why I’m so weird.

4 Likes

So glad I missed this “trend;” the use of asbestos was banned in the US by the late 70’s.

6 Likes

Merry Christmas GIF by Simon Super Rabbit

1 Like

Asbestos Snow :tm:

It Will Take Your Breath Away!

6 Likes

I should have clarified:

This particular product and all “new use” products were banned.

Didn’t mean to imply that existing “legacy” asbestos was no longer around.

4 Likes

I’m remembering some kind of “snow” made out of spun glass. Kind of like cushion stuffing, but made out of glass.

1 Like

That was called angel hair. It cut up your hands if you didn’t wear gloves while handling it.

3 Likes

Side Eye Chores GIF by Ludo Studio
Getting tiny bits of glass embedded in my skin is a phobia of mine.

4 Likes

season 6 grandpappy the pirate GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

My mother was super into mini bubble lights. (no screw base - they fit over the regular mini lights) I’d sit and stare at them for what felt like hours at a time. When they were just plugged in, some would take a while to get going and I’d flick the glass tubes with my finger to get them started. Not sure that did anything, but it seemed like it worked and it was satisfying. Not sure if they were the type filled with methylene chloride, but there were never any ER trips, at least.

1 Like

My favorite tree was the one my mom made my dad spray with Sno*Flok (almost certainly asbestos) in 1968. It had all blue lights and blue ornaments and became the platonic ideal of what a Christmas tree should be.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.