Chrome-derived browsers threaten to fork from Google, refuse to eliminate ad-blocker features

The thing about user-agents is that they’re supposed to act on behalf of the user.

1 Like

Something tells me that Microsft has something to do with this absurd decision from google. What a “coincidence” that MS announcement of Edge using chromium and google announcing this change were at almost the same time.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the first week of using Brave that the browser doesn’t seem to be getting slower the longer it is running as Chrome does. This is day 4 or 5 and it is still snappy. Telemetry is a fuck.

2 Likes

I mean, as a web developer it certainly didn’t encourage me that Edge was once more falling behind in css support. Better css support usually means less scaffolding html for things like grid layouts, which means better html structure (if you’re trying at least).

ETA: That said, I know sometimes the interests of developers and end users are at odds.

1 Like

How is Google planning to enable the feature for enterprise?

This API is present in Chromium now. To affect the third party browsers, they’d have to move the code from the Chromium project to the closed source Chrome project. That seems nakedly evil. It would seem more proper to leave it in Chromium and disable it in Chrome.

1 Like

And Firefox supports NoScript which is miles ahead of ScriptSafe for Chromium (typing this into a Chromium window running ScriptSafe)

4 Likes

I’ve been using Waterfox for a couple of years now. It still has all the customisation that I liked from the older versions of Firefox, and it still supports some legacy extensions that I didn’t want to lose.

1 Like

Can it run flashgot?

If so that may be reason enough for me to switch away from vanilla ff.

I used to go in for all that SSE/2/3/S3 AVE recompilation stuff, but it honestly doesn’t seem to make much of a difference in Firefox.

I sorely miss being able to prune out all the crap to get to the specific video I wanted to download. Flashgot made tearing through DRM so easy.

1 Like

Speaking of which, in Chrome on mobile, Boing Boing’s ads now obscure the link to the BBS.

1 Like

I recommend blokada. It’s a self-bosted vpn app that’ll let you essentially use custom hosts file to block ads even in apps.

2 Likes

The adds are to much, usually we close the app instantly once either of us see an add interfere with what we were attempting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.