CIA boss flips out when Ron Wyden reminds him that CIA spied on the Senate

[Read the post]

3 Likes

CIA folks are notoriously sensitive, really sensitive.

8 Likes

Well if Wyden wasn’t doing anything wrong, he has nothing to worry about, right?

16 Likes

suma suma for Brennan too, right?

2 Likes

It always amazes me that people in government will allow things to get so terrible, until it happens to them. Then all of the sudden it is the worst thing in the world, and tends to be corrected immediately (for them).

11 Likes

Classic illustration of blaming the victim. Nevermind your responsibilities or rights, by acting/dressing so provocatively you made us do it.

2 Likes

At what point did he flip out? He seemed pretty calm to me. Wyden actually seemed to be the one to get a bit shaken.

8 Likes

please tell me you forgot to type: [/s]

Didn’t think I needed to.

2 Likes

We all have our moments where extra clarification is needed… :smirk_cat:

2 Likes

In my judgement there’s neither freaking nor flipping out here. The senator and the director don’t see eye-to-eye, we might say.

6 Likes

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.”
“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”
“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master— that’s all.”

I think I’ve identified an early ancestor of spook-epistemology…

5 Likes

BRENNAN: I apologized to them for that very specific inappropriate action that was taken as part of a very reasonable investigative action.

You spied on Senate computers and files.

But do not say that we spied on Senate computers or files. We did not do that.

Oh, so you didn’t spy on Senate computers and files?

We were fulfilling our responsibilities.

Right. You spied on Senate computers and files.

16 Likes

I guess I only picked this up from movies and TV, but isn’t it the case that the CIA is never allowed to conduct domestic surveillance and that such was the the purview of the FBI?

/Also Ron Wyden is my senator and he’s pretty great.

11 Likes

Sounds just like listening to Hillary dance around her obvious, baldfaced lies regarding legally mandated security and governmental accountability.

Laws are apparently only for the little people to worry about following.

4 Likes

But it never happened. But we were only following orders. The orders never happened, either.

5 Likes

It seems like this is getting shoved in our faces more and more these days.

3 Likes

“My orders are that those orders never happened … sir!”

I’m kind of reminded—in a not very flattering to the U.S. way—of watching Romulan, Cardassian, or (hey, what the hay) Human intelligence agencies in Star Trek.

Except that we’re still pretending to be the good guys and still pretending that good guys don’t do terrible things. And that, heck, while we definitely didn’t do xyz it wouldn’t have been so bad a thing if we had.

1 Like

i didn’t see anyone flip out.

1 Like

Senator Ron Wyden’s comment after the session…

3 Likes