City of San Francisco tells man he can't live in wooden box in friend's living room

When I go to other countries and they ask where I live, I say “San Francisco” because everyone knows where that is. In the United States, I say “Oakland,” and no one seems confused.

1 Like

Try being English over here.

Might as well just say London and be done with it. If they don’t think you’re Australian you’ll end up just explaining how far you lived from London anyway.

(and then you discover the guy you’re talking to knows your crappy provincial little hometown well, natch)

5 Likes

Exactly that. The Economic function of property has been reassigned, from sheltering humans, i.e. the labour force to security investment for a rainy day in a highly volatile financial system. Signs of a messed up financial system, much of the growth in both the Bay area and the English South East, i.e. London comes from providing financial safe havens to the citizenry of a wide range of highly dodgy states.

It is also a very effective financial vehicle to silently moving the resources and wealth of formal Communist regimes to the gloriously victorious west. I say Russia, Ukraine etc. and China…

1 Like

Those goodhearted citizens of Sealabia know better than to consort with those Pod 6 marine troglodytes

2 Likes

That’s a bit like singling Flint, Michigan out for “whingeing” about the water supply.

Are they the only community in the country that has problems with their water? No. Are their problems sufficiently bad that they have more reason to raise concern than just about anyone else? Indeed they do.

4 Likes

Same over here. People have heard of Detroit, not so much Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti. Added bonus: after they hear Detroit, they don’t fuq with 'ya. :wink:

3 Likes

Oakland too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The rub being that they had to have heard of it prior. Detroit has an international reputation (dating back to the 1960’s which doesn’t reflect reality in 2016) that Oakland doesn’t quite.

1 Like

As an American I was like that till my son got me into Premier League football. He is a United fan (I know), and when I was first figuring out the rivalries I mentioned that both the Manchester teams seem to take a special pleasure in beating Liverpool, he said, of course its like 30 miles on the M62 from Manchester to Liverpool.

He has never set foot in the UK. I also now know Swansea is in Wales. The more you know.

4 Likes

It’s Santa Cruz that has the vampire problem.

2 Likes

The term is tenant. And really? REALLY?

3 Likes

the politician from Hesse?

1 Like

The Premier League this season has certainly raised the profile of my aforementioned home town…

1 Like

A temporary tent, or a permanent tent? Did it have a real bed in it, or am inflatable bed or cot?

Or an inflatable vulva?

Except that Flint is basically a bunch of water users at the mercy of incompetent and corrupt politicians, while San Francisco is a bunch of homeowners, possessing highly-valued parcels of real estate, at the mercy of … themselves.

Can you show us on the bear where San Francisco touched you?

7 Likes

Demetrios Ypsilantis is whom the city is named for. He’s known in these parts as General Ypsilanti.

2 Likes

I’ve spent a couple of months of my life in San Francisco, spread over 5-6 visits, and have enjoyed almost every minute of it.

But I would have to make far more sacrifices in my quality of life to live there permanently than I could ever consider doing.

There are things I don’t like about where I live now. But I change the things I can, and learn to live with the things I can’t.

What I don’t do is climb on a soapbox at places like boingboing and ask everyone else to sympathize with my grievances about the place I have chosen to live in.

And when it comes to expressing grievances, at least on this site, San Franciscans seem to punch way, way above their weight.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.