Classic shock image Goatse still good for deterring hotlinking content thieves

Originally published at: Classic shock image Goatse still good for deterring hotlinking content thieves | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Example: Sqword - Play Sqword On Phrazle

6 Likes

I wonder how many people spent time trying to figure out the new version of the game.

12 Likes

“It’s like skeeball, but…”

Nevermind.

6 Likes

I know it’s not the funny part, but the “iframe ad-free content with google ads and end up ranking highly in google searches trying to find the ad-free content” part is grim.

What, that Google’s top search results send users to SEO arseholes?

9 Likes

From a related case quoted in the article:

After replacing said resources [0] they soon ceased but not without a slew of abusive and entitled emails demanding I restore the SFX.

This is the thing that always amazes me: the absolute conviction that some people have that they are entitled to steal other people’s work for their own personal profit, and their fury if anyone does anything to frustrate that. How dare this person interfere with my absolute right to get rich off their labor?

In this example, it’s pretty clearly a case of brainworms – a view of reality so completely flipped and distorted that you can only shake your head in amazement. But I suppose the underlying thought processes aren’t entirely different from the thinking of the AI techbros (“Yes, but I need your stuff for my cool project, so it’s very wrong of you to say that I can’t have it”) or, I dunno, every capitalist who gets self-righteously angry at the idea that they have to pay their workers a living wage or cover the costs of the negative externalities that have made their business profitable.

14 Likes

13 Likes

AI techbros are exactly the same type of people, but with monstrous injections of VC money, and Rand/longtermism to standardize their selfishness.

8 Likes

This is a friendly reminder that the HTTP header X-Frame-Options: DENY exists.

16 Likes

But not nearly as fun

10 Likes

Obviously we need to lobby the W3C to extend the spec to include X-Frame-Options: GOATSE.

19 Likes

I’m pretty sure that the W3C won’t be needed to handle expansion for that particular use case.

5 Likes

I think that, “how dare you stop me doing crime?!”, is a pretty standard response from criminals.

11 Likes

I’m confused.

What’s this “goatse” y’all are talking about?

4 Likes

Ah, hotlinking wars! Makes me all nostalgic.

I liked serving up a BIG black square, bigger than any monitor - low bandwidth, but really wrecks the hotlinkers page layout.

15 Likes

You are welcome.

(the link is to the “know your meme” site, and not to the site itself.)

5 Likes

9 Likes

I just did a quick check and every single site that DuckDuckGo turns up claiming to have a copy of “Sqword” now has an iframe containing a copy of “Sqwordle” instead, which is a Pokemon-themed version of Wordle.

Also Sqword’s own site is the top result on DDG, so, well done duck folks.

13 Likes

He’s activated hundreds of young perverts

5 Likes

I’m curious how the stock-art header image relates to this story.

4 Likes