Clear reflective spray for cyclists who ride at night

I don’t see a great use case for this stuff. There are reflective vests, stickers, tape, actual reflectors, inexpensive lights (some having 1000 lumens or more), and a host of other products in this category readily available in shops and online.
This would probably be better off marketed as a last resort for people who have overindulged, and are forced to walk home.

2 Likes

It’s a reasonable guess, but not the case.

for the road paint yes, for this product no.

…imagination …what this product is. It’s not that.

Would your high horse like a tiny sugar cube? image

1 Like

No thanks, he gets a well-balanced diet. My high horse and I aren’t going anywhere.

Your toxicity sheet only covers the solvents (which are pretty toxic, and some bioaccumulate in soils, which seems like a pretty good reason to avoid this product). But the reflective properties of the paint don’t come from the solvents. They are almost certainly from some kind of microbead. Most likely glass microbeads half-coated with aluminium. But they might be polyethylene (although I understand it’s harder to make this retroreflective. As I said, I want to see a full environmental assessment first.

And my point about it being a stupid product still stands. What’s the use case here? When exactly is this a better choice than (gosh, re-usable!) reflective clothing? Night time naked rides, where reflective clothing gets in the way? Yeah, well good luck anyone who is stupid enough to use this on their skin.

5 Likes

“G-g-g-g-ghost cyclists!”

1 Like

AKA “The Nighttime Streaker’s Friend”

1 Like

Ultimate? sigh
Oh my. You seriously need to look up what “environment” includes, ultimately.

Thanks for the link. Interesting, but not easy to read for someone who isn’t used to these docs. =)

I don’t like it, and I love riding at night.

People in cars please stay home, we’re trying to enjoy the air & sky for a goshdarn minute. Without your stinky engines roaring about! Imagine that!

1 Like

So it washes off? Where does it wash off to? Sounds like cyclists start polluting the environment just at the time when we have started to work hard to reduce the pollution caused by motor vehicles. Is there some kind of law of conservation at work here? How about just wearing a reflective jacket or vest or adding reflective tape or strips or flashing lights? All of those have been easily and cheaply available for ages now and they don’t wash off, instead they last for years.

1 Like

Aquatic Chronic 2: H411 EUH208

H411: Toxic to aquatic life with long-lasting effects. See the upside down fish in the hazard pictograms, see also Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHS_hazard_statements

Presumably not very hazardous in the quantities concerned (perhaps someone has better information?) but as it appears to be a wholly unnecessary product why put any extra stress on the environment at all?

1 Like

oh, wonderful. Could you put it in the stable at least? It’s leaving presents the rest of us don’t appreciate the way you do. I welcome your comment, it’s just… the smell of high horseshit really clouds the message.

The manufacturers toxicity sheet. [sniff sniff]

only covers the solvents

That’s not how they work.

None of those do that significantly. In fact, all of those solvents are candidates for bio-degradation as an abatement technique if there isn’t a critical exposure pathway to a pregnant woman or young child. Citation: 20 years investigating, remediating, and reporting solvent releases. [that one was a real steamer.]

Your high horse is in the Big Muddy, friend.

A citation from your end, which you cannot find, because these are not microbeads, should be within reach from that saddle. But it isn’t, because it’s not accurate.

edited to add: there are some hollow beads involved. Those aren’t great. They appear to be biodegradable, but I can’t prove that, without taking more time to unpack your fears here. That said, you haven’t shown any of it to be toxic - just talked about your fears that it IS, because your knowlege TRUMPS science.

Is that your horses name, by any chance?

edited to add: turns out there are some hollow spheres, not glass, no aluminum. Aluminum would be on the MSDS.

Fear is the mind killer.

Hi. I am certified in accordance with the USEPA regs to perform environmental assessments. It’s what I DO.

I did my research.

You’re almost totally incorrect in your assumptions - could you revisit your conclusions? Do you need to be wrong about it too?

You’re just short of willfully wrong… I think your horse may be misleading you.

Some horses think the best carrots are down the low road, or didn’t you know that?

2 Likes

I see those all the time!

Yeah, you might like to do your research before you post aggressive put-downs.

Edited to add: this is the point where you admit I was right, and apologize

If you spray this on a friend from top to bottom, don’t forget to sing, “Weigh, hey, glow the man down.” Until then, just go with the glow. Or spray a dinghy - “Glow, glow, glow your boat.”

2 Likes

I am SO painting my car with this!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.