Cleveland Indians retire racist logo

Except you can bet that some angry fans will keep wearing their Chief Wahoo shirts and hats.

And that annoying guy in the bleachers will still be pounding that damn kettle drum.

3 Likes

So …still racist but not as obvious.

3 Likes

Never should have been used

3 Likes

I know this is real, but please, tell me this isn’t real.

1 Like

It’s rare that I can be proud of Spokane, but this sure does it!

2 Likes

Random private citizens displaying a racist logo sucks, but it’s not nearly as bad as a professional sports team doing it.

3 Likes

What are you talking about?

To be fair, this was their really offensive logo.

Their recent characture was rather mildly racist in comparison.

1 Like

Well, I was going for a gag where we thought the owners had finally seen the light but they were instead changing the team name to be vindictive towards those “liberals” who had been protesting the racist name. Because the team owners remain horrible people.

Clearly the joke fell flat, so I deleted it.

5 Likes

how long til the notre dame fightin irish is banned?

Yay! I was going to say, ‘Easiest decision ever has been made!’ I’m proud to have played a small part in the drawn out process. A few years ago I gave an early Indians mascot toy to a contemporary First Nations artist (with some trepidation, though I didn’t want it to fall into anyone else’s hands), and he proceeded to make a subversive play on the clubs logo, and a profound and permanent work of art was created. I won’t take too much more credit than to say that, & then to retreat back into the crowd and cheer, along with everyone else!

1 Like

To my knowledge there haven’t exactly been a lot of Irish Americans voicing concern about it.

Also: Irish people weren’t genocided by the ancestors of the people now wearing cartoon caricatures of leprechauns.

8 Likes

[grumpycat]

“Chief Wahoo isn’t a racist logo! We use it to pay tribute to Native Americans. Why can’t you snowflakes see that?!”

(I’m from Cleveland and I agree with the decision to scrap the logo).

5 Likes

This point has been the center of really heated discussion among people who hate the logo in the past day. The argument breaks down into two camps, one says any continuing profit off of the logo is disgusting and immoral. The other points out the need to keep the logo in some form of trade use to prevent the trademark from lapsing which would allow some of the local t- shirt shops to start using it, a desire they’ve already stated. GV Art, probably the most vocal Wahoo supporting shop, is already pushing for the team to work a feather into the block C logo.

1 Like

As always The Onion nails it.

3 Likes

If nothing else scrapping the logo might convince people not to paint themselves up like red Juggalos.

1 Like

Racism used to be so cute in 1990, 1980, 1970, 1960, 1950, 1940, 1930, 1920, 1910, 1900, 1890, 1880, 1870, 1860, 1850, 1840… It was so cute! …maybe 3/5ths of the time. /s

p.s.: we never go far enough. FUCK BIG BIZ ORGANIZED SPORTS. They can all go the way of the dodo as far as I am concerned. What a colossal waste.

1 Like

I hope that’s the case but I guarantee you’ll see more fans wearing Wahoo gear this upcoming season than ever before as a form of protest. I grew up in Cleveland and didn’t think much about the logo back then because I was desensitized to it as it was everywhere; I’m sure that’s the case with many Indians fans. It wasn’t until I moved out of state and came to know Native Americans personally that the significance of that logo made any impact on me. It sounds messed up, I know, but there are people in Cleveland who mistakenly see it as a harmless cartoon just because they’ve seen it that way all their lives. I can’t wrap my head around any thought process that tells a person it’s okay to dress in redface though. That type of thing leaves me speechless.

1 Like