Clever art prank tests the postal system's handling of unusual packages

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/25/clever-art-prank-tests-the-postal-systems-handling-of-unusual-packages.html

5 Likes

I have mailed bicycle tires and it required no special packaging whatever. They taped the two together and wrapped the postage and label around them.
The recipient said they arrived in perfect condition 2 days later (2 states away).

10 Likes

Nice!

Also…

The late Monte Cazazza (who coined the term industrial music) was involved in that movement, often took it to the extreme, doing stuff like mailing dead animals and whatnot…

9 Likes

mail art is cool!
i have tried “testing” the postal service with my own stamp issues, postmarked by my own mark, by placing them as close to the required US postage to see what might be rejected. as long as i don’t take up the top right area, i can almost get the USPS to postmark my stamp as well.
funny one was when the USPS turned my mail upside down and placed the “official” postmark nowhere near either stamp!

6 Likes

i mean, maybe it’s a Nevada thing, but if you’re gonna mail one, you might as well mail a pair. Snake eyes? Box Cars? Seven or Eleven? BETS ARE OPEN

10 Likes

“Shit! I crapped!”

1 Like

i’m shocked (shocked) that this dice package, at least on the right-side, violates the long tradition of opposite sides adding up to seven. (harummmph)

by the bye, it is said, that until ~June 1920, that you could post your children via the U.S.Mail service. (no idea upon which end the postage was affixed)

6 Likes

I had a truck tire with just a shipping label attached dropped off on my doorstep—the wrong address. It was a neighbor’s tire that I had to carry down the street to the right address. Wrong address on an envelope would have been easier to deal with.

3 Likes

Blockquote
…a neighbor’s tire that I had to carry down the street…

Carried it? Did it not occur to you just to roll it there?

10 Likes

Yup!

(Came in two days ago, thanks!)

5 Likes

And for political protest

2 Likes

I’ve always been amused by the fact that one can mail a coconut.
We mailed one to a friend in college, and were sure to write “do not fold, spindle, or mutilate” on the husk.

1 Like

I once mailed a small pumpkin (coated with a spray sealant, but otherwise unprotected) and it arrived with no damage.

Also, I never tried this but apparently there was a time that you could mail your children:

1 Like

Color me disappointed that the postal carrier didn’t roll the die when delivering it.

As children we used to receive a coconut from Trinidad at Christmas, address and stamps just stuck to the husk.

2 Likes

4 Likes

thought it had to be a sparrow, you know… grasping the coconut by the husk.
that’s 'ow we get our Christmas coconuts, we do!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.